Author Topic: VW Golf MK 5 STOP Engine OFF Oil Pressure  (Read 23402 times)

Offline seze67

• Just got here
VW Golf MK 5 STOP Engine OFF Oil Pressure
« on: 08 April 2013, 21:49 »
3 years ago my then nearly 5 year old golf had a new engine due to the old one seizing as STOP Engine OFF Oil Pressure came on and I foolishly kept driving to get home! nearly 3 years into a new engine regularly serviced and it happens again so stopped this time did so research found it could be oil pick up pipe....took to mechanic who found this was blocked and full of gunk and the oil like treacle....he fixed the issue last Tuesday then today the light came on again after more research seemed it could be a sensor. After the light going off and coming on again and about 2 miles of driving the engine stopped  :sad: Had to be towed home as wouldn't restart .... oil is fine so just hoping won't be the engine gone again!!!!! Any ideas???????????

Offline Poached

• I live here
Re: VW Golf MK 5 STOP Engine OFF Oil Pressure
« Reply #1 on: 08 April 2013, 22:15 »
3 years ago my then nearly 5 year old golf had a new engine due to the old one seizing as STOP Engine OFF Oil Pressure came on and I foolishly kept driving to get home! nearly 3 years into a new engine regularly serviced and it happens again so stopped this time did so research found it could be oil pick up pipe....took to mechanic who found this was blocked and full of gunk and the oil like treacle....he fixed the issue last Tuesday then today the light came on again after more research seemed it could be a sensor. After the light going off and coming on again and about 2 miles of driving the engine stopped  :sad: Had to be towed home as wouldn't restart .... oil is fine so just hoping won't be the engine gone again!!!!! Any ideas???????????

What engine have you got?

Pick up pipes blocking were a problem on the MK4 1.8T but there have been a couple of cases on the 2.0l TFSI documented on the MK5 forum.

How was the issue fixed with the first blockage? Was the original pickup pipe replaced?

It's hard to say over the internet and you did the right thing by not driving it this time.

It could be the Sensor/Wiring/pump.

I would be interested to know what oil you're using and what Mileage/Interval you change the oil and filter.

There is potentially a higher risk of sludge formation with longer oil change intervals and of course oil quality.

Offline seze67

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 08 April 2013, 22:54 »
Hi it's 2.0 GTI (DSG) and the whole engine was replaced last time....last week the oil pick up pipe was just cleaned out not replaced but surely that would be enough as it's only been driven about 10 miles in total since then (5 days) I don't know the oil used sorry I just rely on regular servicing  :embarrassed: but can ask .... I read on another forum that it was a known problem with the Mk 5?! I'm just praying I don't need a new engine again! (that won't be happening!)

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #3 on: 08 April 2013, 23:58 »
if the starter motor was still turning over then it won't be seized. A faulty crank sensor/wiring can cause the oil pressure warning light to come on and make the car cut out

Offline bacillus

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 09 April 2013, 08:16 »
In addition to above, what oil were you using in the car?
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Poached

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 09 April 2013, 08:26 »
Hi it's 2.0 GTI (DSG) and the whole engine was replaced last time....last week the oil pick up pipe was just cleaned out not replaced but surely that would be enough as it's only been driven about 10 miles in total since then (5 days) I don't know the oil used sorry I just rely on regular servicing  :embarrassed: but can ask .... I read on another forum that it was a known problem with the Mk 5?! I'm just praying I don't need a new engine again! (that won't be happening!)

Yes the pipe is probably ok.

What's your Annual mileage?

It would be a good idea for you to find out what oil is being used when you have your servicing done.

The Oil should be VW 504.00 spec...do you ever top up your oil?

Offline seze67

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 09 April 2013, 09:28 »
I will find out the oil used let you know .... I do about 6000 a year as I work from home so only short journeys really and the occassional long one....car's done 105000 miles....I do top up but only randomly I don't check it regularly as I like I say rightly or wrongly I rely on the servicing  :undecided:

Offline Poached

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 09 April 2013, 09:50 »
I will find out the oil used let you know .... I do about 6000 a year as I work from home so only short journeys really and the occassional long one....car's done 105000 miles....I do top up but only randomly I don't check it regularly as I like I say rightly or wrongly I rely on the servicing  :undecided:

Ok the next question would be how often does the oil get changed? It's typically every 10k without going into the Longlife/Time and Distance servicing regimes.

You should check the oil regularly. Some TFSI engines are known to go through oil and this has caught a number of people out with low pressure warning.
« Last Edit: 09 April 2013, 09:56 by Poached »

Offline seze67

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 09 April 2013, 10:07 »
topher are you referring to the engine speed sensor? i've done some searches and some are saying that this could also be the fault....

Offline seze67

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 09 April 2013, 10:10 »
ok thanks so the oil has been changed regularly (especially since new engine was fitted less than 3 years ago) and was changed only last Tuesday (as part of the due service but also because of the stop oil pressure light coming on) so for this to happen in less than a week is baffling!