Author Topic: How To "Fit New" VW Door Membranes (Foils as They Call Them)...  (Read 8144 times)

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
    • VAG Parts
Been meaning to do this for the last year or so - but I've always had a problem with what sort of fixing product to use and this has been a headache for a while....

Anyway earlier this year my bay window started leaking at home and it got to the stage where on a wet day the water just was p**ing in and I wasn't in a position to call someone out to sort it...

So got out the ladder and had a look & we had an issue with the zinc/lead covering and the plastic frame & over the years the zinc has either shrunk or the wind and rain had found a way of finding a way in... and My best mate is a plumber and he has always told me that water will always find a way in, and just cos it coming from "X" position don't mean it's coming from "Y" which is just above it....

So his words ringing in my ears I pop off down to Wickes (after doing B&Q but they were fecking useless as were my local builders merchant) and I found this product...

So bought a tube and in the back of my mind I had a feeling this was going to do my new door Membranes... But needed to test on the house first.. :D

So after a few months the bay window didn't leak even with the wettest year on record so to my mind this product was going to be my "Door Card Savour"  :smug:

As is normal for us blokes I thought I'll do that when the weather gets better as my seal seems fine at the moment so no hurry...

Until I looked at my door card this week and the dreaded white tidal marks had started to appear in the door pockets.... FECK IT!!! So whipped them off ASAP and sat the door cards in the house over Christmas to dry out (Wife loved looking at them over Christmas dinner.... SFW) Get over it...

The other Issue I wanted to Sort out in my head was "How Did VW" fit these new from the factory as everyone I had seen had been taken off at some point in the cars history, until I bought a GL car that had only done 83K... And when I took the door cards off I found this...

What I found interesting was that at the factory they seem to have applied the membrane 1st and then all the fittings and also that the sealant wasn't just applied to the bottom and top of the doors as I had assumed...

This now gave me a basis to start on and sort out my sh!te leaky membranes....

So after whipping my door cards off this is what I was greeted too (no big surprise as its my bodge work on top of 20 previous attempts...

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
    • VAG Parts
So Pulled all the Sh!te off and spent an Hour with the following tools;

cleaning off all the old Gaffa tape and glue... Took the Chisel to some stuff that must have been added at some point as my Bojo tools just wouldn't touch them and knackered up a couple of them in the process...  >:(  I also sprayed the door with large amounts of WD40 as it helps remove all the sticky residue left by Gaffa tape...

Ended up with a door looking like this...

I then left it for 24 hours so the WD40 had time to dissipate...

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
    • VAG Parts
As you can see I also removed all the door card fixings... Bottom & side ones - I wasn't going to bother and was going to cut round them, but after seeing the original membrane I thought it was better to take them off and use them as yet another form of securing the new Foil/Membrane in place.

So waited for a dry day (but fecking Cold!!) to fit the new one in place.... and To Be Honest  this went much better than I thought it would...

The New "Genuine VW Membranes" Now come in "One Size Suits All" so have to be trimmed to suit & seen as I have Electric Windows & Mirrors This suited me better as I didn't want extra holes I didn't need...

So did a 1st fix holding it in place at the top and at the front edge with blue masking tape...

then attempted to do a final fix...

I just used my Thumb nail to mark the rest of the foil so I could cut it and found out that my Nail actually cut it to size and I just trimmed up the rest with a pair of scissors and a stanley knife...

So how to fix it properly???

I decided to leave the masking tape on the bottom edge and let the foil/membrane fall down and then apply as much sealant as I could without leaving any gaps so water could leak through.... I went all around the door and also added sealant to the middle section...

I then thought feck it belt & braces.... and added a bead to the actual membrane..

I then stuck it back in place and smoothed out the sealant to make a 100% watertight seal...

I then used the scissors to make small holes in the membrane to plug back in the Door Card Clips....

I wasn't sure how this would work but after hammering the pins back in place it seems to have worked a treat and they are also holding the membrane in place just like the original... and have squashed up the foil nicely...

I've left the membrane and masking tape in place over night just to make sure it wont slip out of place and will take the tape off in the morning and then refit my door card....

I hope you find this helpful... :)

« Last Edit: 02 January 2013, 02:33 by X4MGS »

Offline eddypeck

• Not said much yet
Re: How To "Fit New" VW Door Membranes (Foils as They Call Them)...
« Reply #3 on: 17 December 2013, 11:31 »
I know this is quite an old thread but wondered if there was an update as to whether or not this repair had held out?