Author Topic: Anyone seen threads about retro fitting oem parking sensors  (Read 10969 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Ive seen the OEM kits from ebay from the polish seller been talked about on the American site but wondered if anyone had seen a thread about them after they were fitted?
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Belix

• GTI forum regular
Re: Anyone seen threads about retro fitting oem parking sensors
« Reply #1 on: 18 January 2012, 08:38 »
Hey Snoops, busy retrofitting the OEM parking sensors, did not find too much usefull info and the instructions from Kufatec where very vague, but will try put something together.
So far I've got the rear sensors in, and wiring done from rear up to the fuse box. That's were it gets complicated - I have no idea how to get the module installed in the OEM location, and the wires to it and to the front...hopeing to get some time to take the wipers out to get to the box underneith and see where it goes...

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #2 on: 18 January 2012, 09:25 »
Thanks keep me up to date on how you get on
« Last Edit: 18 January 2012, 09:27 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline TJD

• Not said much yet
  • The quality remains after the cost is forgotten.
« Reply #3 on: 19 January 2012, 23:51 »

I have just taken delivery of a set of the front & rear sensors from Poland and am in the process of trying to find info from anyone who's fitted them, which so far has been hard work and besides the American site not much. :angry:

I've got two sets of fitting instructions, one for the MK5 rear sensors and one for the MK6 front & rear, by Kufatec, that were supplied once I had asked for them from the kit supplier.

In fairness they look as though they have all the info needed BUT are pretty useless 'cos both sets are in ****ing GERMAN and when they're translated with Google read like a ****ing bad Monty Python sketch :grin: :angry: :grin: :angry:    I asked for an English version for the MK6 but no joy.

I'm going to pull together usefull bits from different forums, A3/Skoda, the American site and use the translated instructions where I dare :shocked:

In quality terms it all looks good all my bits are oem VW/Audi and current, they came quickly, in my colour at no extra cost, just the wiring is hand made which might be the problem when it's all connected & trying to code.  There's only one way to find out.

Belix - good luck.  Where did you buy yours, do you have English fitting instructions? :laugh:
Snoopy - I'll let you know what they're like, fitting next week.

If anyone wants to share any info, like Andrew Marr I'm all ears... (sorry)

MK6 GT140. Reflex silver. Vancouvers.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #4 on: 20 January 2012, 03:33 »
Thank you  and I look forward to reading updates and seeing some photos of what they look like I

this is a mod I'm interested in fitting in the future

Sorry for the quality of the

Above post as written on veal htc
« Last Edit: 20 January 2012, 03:39 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline TJD

• Not said much yet
  • The quality remains after the cost is forgotten.
MK6 GT140. Reflex silver. Vancouvers.

Offline Belix

• GTI forum regular
well had a faulty mem card that meant I lost a lot of pictures of the ordeal. Have got bits an pieces here and there so will try post up something.

Issue 1:
Have laid wires to front, and got sensors in the back bumper. Since the Kufatec instructions were for a LHD, i swapped the sensor pins around for the four sensors, so hopefully they will be right...we'll see.

Issue 2:
Other trouble is the it seems RHD and LHD have their canbus in different locations. the German instructions say it is just above the brake pedal, but there is nothing there. Luckily I took out the wipers to get to the service panel underneath, intending to put the PDC module in the OEM location...only to find the canbus there.... However the instructions to not mention the canbus specifically, just show a location, so I'm just assuming the connections need to be made to this canbus module, pin 6 and pin 16... I'm really hoping this is right
I'm hoping all the other info is right...

Issue 3:
I need to get the wiring for the front sensors through the firewall. I can make a hole in the inspection plate, but seems very backyard mechanic.  I'm hoping I can lead the wires through the grommet in the firewall behind the glovebox, but that will leave me precious little wiring in the engine bay, and I suspect not enough to get to the front bumper

issue 4:
The PDC button illumination pinout is given as pin 51 of connector B of the CECM module. Trouble is the terminal they have crimped on bares no relation whatsoever to the connector on the wire in pin51, so I am worried they have given bad info. Does anyone know which pin on which connector is the right one for the button illumination? Otherwise I will jus have to tap into one of the other buttons...

issue 5:
Since the canbus module is sitting happily in the spot I thought would be for the PDC, I don't know where the OEM location is for the PDC module now. Anyone help? Otherwise, any suggestions on where to mount the module and front speaker?

Offline mike.

• I live here
This is what is listed in Elsawin for the PDC controller, looks like it sits in behind the canbus controller and above the relay panel.

Mk6 GTI 3dr | DSG | Tornado Red | 18" Monza 2 | LED Xenons | RNS510 | Bluetooth | Smoked LED tails | Cruise | Reversing Camera | TPMS | - now sold :(

Offline Belix

• GTI forum regular
Thanks Mike!
Hard to tell from the black & white pics, but it looks like the opening in the second picture is the same maintenance panel I found what I think is the canbus module in. Perhaps the PDC module is mounted under the canbus module and above the relay carrier??. In fact the cable on the right in the second image looks to be the red connector for the module that has been unplugged, and the canbus module removed. Hmmm, i'll have to check if there is space tomorrow, assuming I can figure out how to remove the canbus module.

Below is what seems to be the canbus module taken through the maintenance hatch under the wipers.

« Last Edit: 27 July 2012, 19:12 by Belix »

Offline Belix

• GTI forum regular
I got the canbus moduel out today. there is no space anywhere behind for the PDC module...so maybe on cars with PDC, the canbus is mounted somewhere else, and the braket changes to accept PDC...

After a lot of cursing, I connected up the can-bus wiring using a new set of plugs (I hate cutting wires), so everything can go back to stock if needed. The access panel is far back and not the easiest to work on, so trying to fiddle with wiring to get the canbus wiring out is a mission!

One thing I figured out the hard way - EVERYTHING needs to be plugged in to both program and use the system. At first I did not have the front sensors plugged in as they are not in place yet. Module was found in VCDS but it kept giving out of range errors when I tried to program "show illustration". I programmed the system without that and when selecting reverse, it gave a long beep and the button flashed. After some net searching I discovered this meant the module had errors.

After plugging everything in (EVEN the sounder speakers need to be plugged in), the system then gave the beeps but no picture. Back into VCDS and it allows you to select "show illustration" in the log code helper. Finally it shows on the RNS!!! WHOOHOOO!!!

So canbus connected and sorted, everything else still to go...