Author Topic: HOW TO: Change your FRONT top mounts  (Read 37505 times)

Offline WeekendMechanic

• Here all the time
  • Golf MK3 GTD
Re: HOW TO: Change your FRONT top mounts
« Reply #40 on: 08 March 2013, 10:38 »
You need a thin walled deep socket or a ring spanner. Have to assembled the shock correctly.

What top mounts do you have cos if they are orange poly ones from eBay they are sh!t.

A ring spanner will definitely not fit and neither will a walled deep socket work An average deep socket  has to be modified in order to have proper access(carving a square shape at the end to fit a spanner in order for the alen to go through),this is something to think about before attempting to change the mounts, unless you have a air hammer which will work with a deep socket.

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #41 on: 08 March 2013, 13:48 »
Before i made a tool for the job i used a spark plug socket with the rubber insert removed.  It has a hex top to get a ring spannet on an allows a hex drive to be inserted down the centre.

Offline WeekendMechanic

• Here all the time
  • Golf MK3 GTD
« Reply #42 on: 08 March 2013, 17:11 »
Before i made a tool for the job i used a spark plug socket with the rubber insert removed.  It has a hex top to get a ring spannet on an allows a hex drive to be inserted down the centre.

That`s a good idea......

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
  • Been there...Done that...
« Reply #43 on: 09 March 2013, 00:29 »
You need a thin walled deep socket or a ring spanner. Have to assembled the shock correctly.

What top mounts do you have cos if they are orange poly ones from eBay they are sh!t.

A ring spanner will definitely not fit and neither will a walled deep socket work An average deep socket  has to be modified in order to have proper access(carving a square shape at the end to fit a spanner in order for the alen to go through),this is something to think about before attempting to change the mounts, unless you have a air hammer which will work with a deep socket.

It will work. You just have to know how to use them. A vice helps too. But that's if you haven't got an impact wrench. Sometimes you can improvise without resorting to modifying sockets.

Correct regarding ring spanner. I was thinking top nut.

Mk3 ABF 16VT Megasquirt V3

Tshirt knows........ How to diagnose