Author Topic: 2012 changes ............. BW22 model year 2012 MY12  (Read 27283 times)

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
The engine and specification changes outlined below will come into effect from production week 22. Please inform customers of these changes.

Golf models

All models
-         RNS 315/510 satellite navigation can now recognise full seven-digit postcodes. Click here for more sat-nav information

-         RNS 315/510 now comes with map data loaded on its hard disk drive (HDD)

-         RCD 210/310 Radio display changes from blue with black text to black with white text.

S, BlueMotion, Match, GT
-         The symbols on the Climatic air-conditioning have changed from ‘Lo’ to ‘ACMax’ (see picture g below)

GTD, GTI, R
-         New LED rear number plate lights as standard (see picture b below)

GTI
-         Optional 19-inch Glendale alloy wheels are now available for a retail price of £995 (see picture c below)

GTD, GTI, R
-         Drivers can now switch off the vehicle’s Electronic Stabilisation Programme (ESP) and Anti-Slip Regulation (ASR) systems for sportier driving, as standard. Click here for more detail

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

More details (links above go to the info shown below)
New ESP-OFF for sporty driving
Designed to give the enthusiastic driver a choice in the level of automatic braking assistance on their car, from build week 22, a revised set-up of Volkswagen’s Electronic Stabilisation Programme (ESP) will be standard on Golf R, GTI and GTD models, and all Scirocco models.

This has been introduced by the Factory in response to feedback from owners who think Volkswagen’s current safety systems take the edge off driver enjoyment in, for example, track use or highly sporty driving.

In normal use, all braking assistance systems work as before, ensuring safety within the usual limits and it would be virtually impossible to deactivate the systems accidentally.

However, in the appropriate conditions, the driver is now able to select the level of braking intervention in stages.

At the first level, by pressing the ESP button, ASR (traction control) is switched off. By pushing and holding the button again (approx 3 secs), drivers can reach the second level which shows ‘ESP OFF’. In this mode, drivers can oversteer or understeer without ESP interference, allowing so-called drifting. In this mode, if the driver actively brakes in what the car detects to be on the limits of safety, ESP is automatically reactivated and supports the driver in keeping control of the car. Afterwards, the ESP is automatically deactivated again; it is reset and switched on each time the ignition is started. It should be noted that the ABS function remains unaffected by ESP-OFF.

For more information, see the following press articles which talk about the system in action.

-         http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/263548/volkswagen_golf_r_dsg.html
-         http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/255389/

This new feature is standard – and this should be a positive selling point to prospective buyers of high performance vehicles. However it should be stressed that it poses no diminution of active safety features when used in standard mode.

XDS – electronic differential lock
An electronic cross-axle traction control system for improved traction and handling. Technically speaking, XDS is a functional extension of the electronic limited slip differential (EDL) which is a part of the standard ESP system.

Its benefits are experienced when driving quickly through a bend. ESP sensors provide information on lateral G-forces, while ABS sensors monitor levels of friction. Using this information a control unit can predict when an inside wheel is about to lift and apply a braking force automatically to increase traction on the opposite front wheel. XDS differs from EDL, however, as it brakes the inner wheel before it loses traction rather than afterwards. The result is smoother, more sure-footed and safer progress with better traction through fast corners when on the limit of adhesion.

XDS also compensates for the understeer which is typical of front-wheel drive cars. Thanks to XDS, the GTI’s driving characteristics are significantly more precise and neutral, and this reduction in understeer delivers greater driving enjoyment.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If someone wants to email me lee.evans@ir.inchcape.co.uk I will copy and paste pics of stuff for someone to upload.

Lee

Edited by Moderator to bring all the infomation into one post hope you don't mind Lee, Geoff. :smiley:
« Last Edit: 28 May 2011, 17:47 by Snoopy »
Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
Re: 2012 changes.............
« Reply #1 on: 28 April 2011, 11:33 »
Two things.

First , your called Lee Evans :D :D :D

Second, you mean you currently cant turn off your ESP? Eh ?

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #2 on: 28 April 2011, 11:55 »
The new Glendale 19inch optional wheel look basically ttrs wheels to me : )
Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 28 April 2011, 11:56 »

-         RCD 210/310 Radio display changes from blue with black text to black with white text.

Now that's an improvement. The blue display looks aftermarket next to the white instrument lighting.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #4 on: 28 April 2011, 12:17 »
Lee, You have email.
Geoff.

Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 28 April 2011, 12:19 »
Can XDS be retro-fitted?
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 28 April 2011, 12:20 »
Interesting  :smiley:
My GTD is scheduled to be built on week 22!! So I'm assuming I'll get these little features? The LED number plates sounds good, compliments the main LED tails nicely.

Are there engine changes?
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline mike.

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 28 April 2011, 12:29 »
Can XDS be retro-fitted?

XDS is already standard on the GTI, AFAIK..
Mk6 GTI 3dr | DSG | Tornado Red | 18" Monza 2 | LED Xenons | RNS510 | Bluetooth | Smoked LED tails | Cruise | Reversing Camera | TPMS | - now sold :(

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #8 on: 28 April 2011, 12:32 »
Yes it is. And if i remember correct from my mk5 days there ESP could not be turned off completely either. So its now nice of VW to allow it to be done.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 28 April 2011, 12:36 »
Silly me. I was thinking of a mechanical LSD. :rolleyes:
Anyway, I would never want the ESP to be completely dis-engaged. :smile:
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP