Author Topic: please help!  (Read 2796 times)

Offline golddust

• Just got here
please help!
« on: 23 January 2011, 16:28 »
I have owned my mk3 gti 8v for two years now and its started playing up it starts fine and drives fine but when im driving and i put my foot on the clutch the revs drop and it cuts out , i was told it could be a idle valve problem so i looked in the haynes manual and it said where it was so i went my my car and it was not where it said ??? DOES MY GOLF HAVE A IDLE VALVE ?????

Offline golddust

• Just got here
Re: please help!
« Reply #1 on: 23 January 2011, 16:31 »
I have owned my mk3 gti 8v for two years now and its started playing up it starts fine and drives fine but when im driving and i put my foot on the clutch the revs drop and it cuts out , i was told it could be a idle valve problem so i looked in the haynes manual and it said where it was so i went my my car and it was not where it said ??? DOES MY GOLF HAVE A IDLE VALVE ?????
or does anyone know what is wrong with my golf?

Offline clivusdel

• Not said much yet
  • Mk3 Golf GTi 8v
« Reply #2 on: 23 January 2011, 16:37 »
could be idle control valve
could be dirty/coked up throttle body
could be a cable has come off somewhere
try running some redex through it
blocked air filter?
fuel pump?
relay/fuse?

Offline madmanmart

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 23 January 2011, 16:45 »
Mk3 GTI 8v does not have a ISV (idle control valve).

First thing to do is clean the throttle body and all breather pipes and go from there.

Mk3 Golf 3dr GTI 16v
Mk3 Golf Cabriolet TD
20vt Corrado track car project

Christo77

« Reply #4 on: 23 January 2011, 16:46 »
Yep, as above..
From what you say i'd have a look at the Maf sensor on the air box first, then check breathers and vacuum lines!  maybe next those relays no 30/167.

Offline golddust

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 23 January 2011, 19:11 »
Yep, as above..
From what you say i'd have a look at the Maf sensor on the air box first, then check breathers and vacuum lines!  maybe next those relays no 30/167.
Thanks for the advice ill give it a go , fingers crossed !

Offline golf_mk3VR6

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 24 January 2011, 16:13 »
Check the air filter too.
How old are the sparkplugs?
MK3 AAM wagon, dreaming of a VR6

Offline GCGTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 24 January 2011, 17:21 »
Had a similar problem with mine just before christmas and only just got it back on the road.

Changed fuel relay, ecu relay, no change, replaced the distributor and hey presto back in business.

Seems like there are plenty of reasons for it to cut out, depending on engine type, could be the coil pack, dizzy or crank angle sensor.

Good luck..

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #8 on: 25 January 2011, 09:57 »
Mk3 GTI 8v does not have a ISV (idle control valve).

First thing to do is clean the throttle body and all breather pipes and go from there.

yes they do, on the early 2E code engine. the later AGG/ADY doesnt have one, instead the idle is regulated by a stepper motor in the throttle body. this is why on the later cars a dirty throttle body causes issues, the stepper motor puts the car into 'idle' position, but its all blocked up with crud so the expected amount of air cant get past, so stall.
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.