Author Topic: polo 6n gearbox  (Read 11199 times)

Offline tonsofun

• GTI forum regular
polo 6n gearbox
« on: 28 July 2010, 18:51 »
Not a golf but I am desperate.......Does anyone know if i can fit a gearbox from a petrol car to my 1.9d polo 6N? i have been told the golf mk2 golf gearbox's will fit, mine has just gone and need the car back asap. If it is possible does anyone know which clutch etc you need to use?

Thanks muchly
Mark
2 Mk2's, both in bits, 2 Rocco's soon to become 1, and a Polo 1.3.....
The polo is the only car with MOT and in working order...Doh!!

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: polo 6n gearbox
« Reply #1 on: 29 July 2010, 09:23 »
can you take a piccy of it, then we can see what box it has fitted atm. being a 1.9 id assume its an 020 or 02a box

failing that can you get the gearbox code off it, can be on flat plate on the bottom of the bellhousing, or somewhere on the top
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline tonsofun

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 31 July 2010, 20:19 »
ok i will get the gearbox code after the weekend, the car is currently at my parents house else id do it now!

thanks
Mark

Offline tonsofun

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 02 August 2010, 15:29 »
ok all the numbers i could find

48DCH20048
SET
085.301.103.H

Neither of them seem to be 020 or 02a!?

Any ideas what i can fit instead as these gearbox's seem to be like hens teeth.
Alternatively does anyone know what engines will fit in a 6n polo, didnt know if golf mk2/3 as they are easy to get parts from and could be a nice upgrade to 1.8 or 2.0 petrol!
Cheers

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #4 on: 02 August 2010, 15:41 »
ok looks like a DCH code box, those part numbers are just for the casing itself. it looks to be a hybrid of the old smallblock 085 gearboxes, with a big block bellhousing. No wonder you're struggling to find one :(

Part number of the DCH gearbox is 085 300 052 QX which is listed for 95-02 Polo. Alternative box codes are DXF, DCT, EQX and FFF if thats any help at all.

Offline tonsofun

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 02 August 2010, 22:17 »
So in theory if i got a bell housing off a golf 1.6 or bigger, and fitted it to a gearbox from a 1.4 or smaller, it should work!? someone mentioned fitting a different box and swapping the bell housing for the diesel one, but there is a hole in my bell housing which i guess is why it went bang in the first place (apparently a common fault on diesel polo's)

Offline tonsofun

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 02 August 2010, 22:21 »
Dont know if these will help....

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #7 on: 03 August 2010, 10:18 »
you wouldnt be able to use a big block bellhousing, but you would be able to use the old bellhousing from the broken gearbox :)
ideally it will need reshimming as the clearances will probably be a little different, but you might get away with just throwing the box together. main issue is the ratios, the diesel box is likely to have really tall gearign, whereas the petrol models will be short in comparison.

what exactly has happened to the box? you might be able to use bits stripped from a donor box to repair the old one, depending on what happened to it

Offline tonsofun

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 03 August 2010, 14:51 »
not sure how it happened but there is a hole in the bell housing....which i why i cant use it! apparently its a common problem, but no one seems to know or want to tell me what causes it....its the second box in 6 months (i bought it with a knackered one, and fitted this second hand one from a scrapped diesel around Christmas time)
The hole is somewhere in line with the driveshaft cup on the first picture i think....i know golfs have weak diff's, could it be that has broken and flown through the caseing!?

So if it is not the same bell housing as a golf then im stumped, any ideas what other engines will fit these polo's....may be time to have a little play!

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #9 on: 03 August 2010, 15:55 »
yeah i would say its diff rivet failure. the 085 boxes really cant handle the extra weight of the newer polos, same thing started happenign to the 020 boxes around the time they went into the mk2 and from there things just get worse.

its a bit poor that vw have continued to use 020 and 085 boxes in newer heavier cars, especially when they know the diffs are weak