Author Topic: engine wont turn over!  (Read 6201 times)

Offline rcsammy

• Here all the time
engine wont turn over!
« on: 05 July 2010, 15:26 »
Sorry, yet another help thread from me  :rolleyes:

I have a 1.4 CL which i have recently got to do up as a little project

now i jump started it first of all and it started and ran fine
so the battery has charge(i have checked) but the engine will not turn over(not even try) without jump leads on, i get the dash lights and can hear the fuel pump

i noticed it has some kind of aftermarket alarm system fitted, im thinking it could need an immboliser??? but then that wouldnt explain why it starts every time from jump leads but not from its own battery

any help is much appreciated

Offline Dmonday

• I live here
Re: engine wont turn over!
« Reply #1 on: 05 July 2010, 16:08 »
you tried another battery? :huh:

Dan

Offline javalin

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 05 July 2010, 16:53 »
> noticed it has some kind of aftermarket alarm system fitted, im thinking it could need an immboliser??? but then that wouldnt explain why it starts every time from jump leads but not from its own battery
yes it would - the immob is possibly cutting the starter.  Check the voltages to the starter motor solenoid when you try to start it.  No voltage means its not trying (so wires, immob or ignition switch maybe), >+12 voltage means that there is an issue with the starter motor or components.

James
You only ever need two tools in life. If it moves and it shouldn't use Duct Tape. If it does not move and it should, use WD40.

Offline rcsammy

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 05 July 2010, 17:40 »
Yeah i have tried the battery out of my other car which i know is decent and charged and it was the same

> noticed it has some kind of aftermarket alarm system fitted, im thinking it could need an immboliser??? but then that wouldnt explain why it starts every time from jump leads but not from its own battery
yes it would - the immob is possibly cutting the starter.  Check the voltages to the starter motor solenoid when you try to start it.  No voltage means its not trying (so wires, immob or ignition switch maybe), >+12 voltage means that there is an issue with the starter motor or components.

James
i still dont see why if the starter motor, wires or anything like that is dodgy how it would start when being jumped though?

Offline rcsammy

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 05 July 2010, 19:47 »
i've just noticed it is displaying the message "IN 02" on the dash when the ignition is turned on
i assume this is a service notification? not anything to do with this problem

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #5 on: 05 July 2010, 19:51 »
Nothing to do with it.

Have you got a multimeter? If so, check you're getting 12v to the starter motor. If you are check the earths are well connected and clean.
Once all that's done, try tapping the starter motor with a hammer to see if it unsticks. Don't overdo it obviously, but do give it a good whack.

Offline rcsammy

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 05 July 2010, 20:42 »
i tried tapping the starter motor, gave the solenoid a tap for good luck aswell

need to get a new multimeter so will do that tomorrow, i still cant see how anything mechanical would mean that it would only turn over when being jump started, because that rules out a stuck starter motor and i would of thought if there was high resistance in the wires or somthing like that the motor would atleast try

i'll get a multimeter and do some investigating
i still think it could be somthing to do with the alarm system, i have no idea how to disconnect it properly though

Offline della_mk3

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 05 July 2010, 20:51 »
it wouldnt start on leads if it was the imobiliser, i would have thought.  sounds like battery or bad earth

Offline harlemex

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 05 July 2010, 21:39 »
As above. Must be a connection issue. Corroded earth strap?

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #9 on: 05 July 2010, 23:58 »
Does it turn over by hand.