Author Topic: Whats the best lowering Kit for 17 inch alloys  (Read 6564 times)

Offline Saqib

• Not said much yet
Whats the best lowering Kit for 17 inch alloys
« on: 29 December 2004, 21:38 »
I have recently put 17 inch alloys on my mk 3 and the car is too high. Whats the best lowering kit to put on and the cheapest.

Offline Kola

• Not said much yet
Re: Whats the best lowering Kit for 17 inch alloys
« Reply #1 on: 21 January 2019, 20:20 »
Me too.  They say do a search but no one has answered many of the posts that ask the Q I want answering. :-/
My new GF gives me no problems!  Unlike ALL of the rest!!  She's only 21, black and extremely sexy. Sure she may have a slight drinking problem but nothing is perfect right?   Her name is Vicky (The VR6) Highline and I am madly in love.

Offline Simeon

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 22 January 2019, 11:16 »
Cheapest and best do not go together very well unfortunately.

You can fit lowered springs and shocks, but my experience is that it's never quite how you want it and always end up with a slight nose up stance.

Better alternative is coilovers as you can adjust them where you want. As you've probably seen, these vary from £120 to £1200 (and probably more). The cheapest are pretty poor, give a bad ride and rust up. The most expensive ones are pretty much OTT for most people.

Good compromise is decent second hand set, or a set of mid-range, like AP.

On the cheaper end I actually found FK AK coilovers to give an acceptable ride, I ran  them for 2 years and they were still fine and adjustable when I removed them, sold them on for £100 too.

As with all things, you pay for what you get. Phoning suppliers (DPM Performance / Demon Tweaks etc) and telling them you are a forum member you can sometimes get a discount that will beat the best price you can find on eBay etc.

Offline Kola

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 28 January 2019, 17:41 »
Hi Simeon,

Thats for the info. Since I was last on here and before I saw what you added I bought this kit

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H-R-Lowering-Springs-Fred-for-VW-VR6-Golf-3-VR6-Vento-VR6-Abe-1-3-16in-60872-1/372206453970?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Ill stick with this now.  Its dispatched and on its way.  I did pre emp your advice and didnt get the cheapest kit.  H&R are a good make so hopefully they will do.   Failing that ill flip them on Ebay and try what you said above. 
My new GF gives me no problems!  Unlike ALL of the rest!!  She's only 21, black and extremely sexy. Sure she may have a slight drinking problem but nothing is perfect right?   Her name is Vicky (The VR6) Highline and I am madly in love.