Author Topic: GTI MK6 - Faults/Rattles/Squeeks etc  (Read 109613 times)

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
GTI MK6 - Faults/Rattles/Squeeks etc
« on: 28 April 2010, 14:29 »
Could I have a list of everyones faults, rattles etc ?

Also, I know its hard sometimes but could we keep this strictly on topic ?

Faults I have found so far...

Alarm went off on its own (Not sure of cause, maybe traffic)
Central Locking not opening (Not happened since we had that cold spell so maybe it was that)
Wing Mirrors not opening (Dont know what causes that but it happens every now and then)

Rattles I have found so far...

Back Passenger area (Sounds like there is something loose around that area, rattles quite a bit)

Squeeks I have found so far...

Turn the wheel all the way to the left or right I get a low pitched squeek/grind type noise (Aint got a clue what that could be)

Right now to buy my car its almost £30k, so I am not too happy about these things. I know the GTI is infamous for this but it doesnt make me any happier and its making the misses uphappy too which pisses me off.
« Last Edit: 28 April 2010, 14:34 by VWKev »

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Re: GTI MK6 - Faults/Rattles/Squeeks etc
« Reply #1 on: 28 April 2010, 15:02 »
Wing mirrors occasionally don't fold open however it seemed to just happen in the cold weather (hasn't happened since). I found driving off usually gets them to open if no amount of turning the knob back and forth works.

Ticking from both drivers and passengers door. Only happens in the warm weather. Obviously some sort of contraction, expansion.

Ipod stutters while changing from one track to another. Has happened with all ipods I have tried (7 or 8) and with both the RCD510 and RNS510. Using a nano ipod causes the tracks on the display not to change to the next track when the next track physically changes.

Handbrake has jumped out its notch a couple of times.

Autolights not a fault as such but sometimes they come on in the middle of a bright afternoon yet won't come on at dusk when they should be coming on.

I get the odd drip of water inside the car when opening the door. I've never had this on the dozen other cars I've owned. It is literally one drop though!!

The bonnet covered with stone chips. 2 I had on my last car in 3 years. I have loads already in just 6 months.
« Last Edit: 28 April 2010, 16:30 by p3asa »
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline FamilyDub

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 28 April 2010, 15:20 »
Turn the wheel all the way to the left or right I get a low pitched squeek/grind type noise (Aint got a clue what that could be)

^^^ MKV's were known for having faulty steering racks... maybe this is the same thing, esp since your talking about full-lock?

Where's P3eeps? He had a MKV?   :laugh:
MKV GTI | Reflex Silver | 5-dr | Anthracite 17" | Manual | Highline MFD | Cruise | Revision 'D' DV | Dirty Pipes |

The GTD is like a blow up doll. The GTI is like a proper woman. Sure the doll might last longer, and the woman might have higher running costs, but which would you rather have?

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #3 on: 28 April 2010, 15:22 »
I am fully expecting the MK6 to inherit most / all the problems the MK5 had.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #4 on: 28 April 2010, 15:33 »

^^^ MKV's were known for having faulty steering racks... maybe this is the same thing, esp since your talking about full-lock?

Where's P3eeps? He had a MKV?   :laugh:

Ah so it could be that. I hope its an easy fix.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline ErikGTI

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 28 April 2010, 15:40 »
Could I have a list of everyones faults, rattles etc ?

Rattles I have found so far...

Back Passenger area (Sounds like there is something loose around that area, rattles quite a bit)

++++1
I'LL BEAT YOU TO THE BBC STUDIO........

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 28 April 2010, 16:11 »
No rattles yet as I am preserving cabin rigidity by driving in the 'comfort' mode!

Door mirrors seemed to be a bit erratic for the first week, but no problems since.

Car gathering chips slowly. Have 2 so far.
Bonnet alignment was up the spout, but since fixed.

More to follow when they happen! :rolleyes:
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline FamilyDub

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 28 April 2010, 16:23 »
I am fully expecting the MK6 to inherit most / all the problems the MK5 had.

^^^ Alan, shhh...!

They get all defensive is we MKV'ers say stuff like that!  :rolleyes:
MKV GTI | Reflex Silver | 5-dr | Anthracite 17" | Manual | Highline MFD | Cruise | Revision 'D' DV | Dirty Pipes |

The GTD is like a blow up doll. The GTI is like a proper woman. Sure the doll might last longer, and the woman might have higher running costs, but which would you rather have?

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #9 on: 28 April 2010, 16:25 »
Im just trying to soften the blow :D