Author Topic: Wishbone swap advice  (Read 2632 times)

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Wishbone swap advice
« on: 07 April 2010, 23:22 »
Hey ho troops,

I've got a rear engine mount and drivers wishbone to swap out. I haven't done a wishbone on a Golf before - but I take it, it requires the rear subframe to be dropped? Then does this mean a series of captive nut woes ...

Any advice to streamline the process and not mess about cutting floorpans.

Edit: Read this http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=119517.0 - and I'll bear it in mind if I bugger stuff up!
« Last Edit: 07 April 2010, 23:26 by Ben Lessani »

Offline Simeon

• I live here
Re: Wishbone swap advice
« Reply #1 on: 08 April 2010, 01:22 »
Doesn't need to be dropped mate, and I think the captive nut woes are exaggerated .. I've not had a problem with them on 3 mk2s that I've had apart. It's a piece of piss anyway, remove drop link, drop ball joint from hub, remove two bolts and pull it out :)

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #2 on: 08 April 2010, 08:55 »
there might be a sleeve in the back bush to make things trickier, but otherwise as above

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #3 on: 08 April 2010, 10:10 »
easy job as above, bolt at the back thru the rear bush and another thru the front thru the front bush. undo and remove the nut & bolt thru the bottom of the bearing carrier, and the nut on the bottom of the roll bar. then use a lever to pop the bone out of the bearing carrier, alternatively stand on the wishbone and jump up n down :grin:

the rear bolt hole should have a tin metal sleeve thru it, the way i get these out usually is to use a small screwdriver to poke a gap between the edge of the bone and the sleeve, then poke some thin nose pliers in and grip the sleeve. then twist, the sleeve will then hopefully wrap round the nose of the pliers then come out. sometimes its really rusted in though, in this case gonna have to use some brute force + ignorance!

dont forget to replace the sleeve as it ensures the rear bush is centred in the subframe before you bolt it up. to get the new one in jack the wishbone up level, then use a drift or something to centralise the bush in the hole. sleeve slots in dead easy then.
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 08 April 2010, 10:43 »
Awesomo - should have it done in a couple of hours tonight then. I just grabbed a cheap and cheerful wishbone from ECP this morning - but I'll be dropping by again to get the rear 1.3 solid rubber box mount.

I don't suppose you have the part number for the metal sleeve?

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #5 on: 08 April 2010, 11:49 »
I sure do :)
191 407 190 A - 0.85+VAT

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 08 April 2010, 13:27 »
Thanks bud - dealer won't have any for days, I take it GSF should be alreet?

Anything else I might need whilst I'm at it?

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #7 on: 08 April 2010, 14:40 »
yeah gsf ones will be alright. cant think of anything else except new ball joints if not done recent etc.
if you're really stuck you can get aweay without the slives, just have to make sure you get the bush centred perfect before you tighten up the bolt

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 08 April 2010, 16:53 »
Just grabbed the bush from ECP - so that's sorted. I'll report back with a (crappy) how-to when I'm done.

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here