Author Topic: Fixed my boot light.  (Read 22901 times)

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
Fixed my boot light.
« on: 03 April 2010, 17:10 »
Finally got around to fixing my boot light

Fitted brand new wiper motor and boot catch.

As most of you know the wiper motors fail inside the pipe breaks off and the washer pipe turns with the wiper arm. When you press the washer the water leaks out of the motor and into the tailgate.

It also gets the boot latch wet which contains the micro switch for the boot light.

*This also can cause the alarm to sound randomly as it can short and make it think the boot is open.*

My old motor looks ok from the outside:

Not so good inside! lol glad i didn't get a repair kit the insides are rusted out  :shocked:

Heres what you waste £25 pounds on for the boot catch a tiny switch lol.

Guide here for the boot catch:

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/319766.aspx

Wiper motor is three bolts and you just need to take off the wiper arm, disconnect the power plug and washer pipe.

The new motor has been superseded and all the circuit boards wires etc are now inside. VW recommend a new connector which makes sure the pipe wont pop off.

Motor is part number 1J6955711G VW price £82.42 TPS £61.82

VW also now recommend Two new superseded parts with the motor:

Rubber gasket : Part number: 6Q6955758 TPS price : £0.77

Support ( new piece to attach washer pipe) Part number : 1J0955665H TPS price : £2.32

Just the corroded boot handle for me to do now  :smiley:

If your boot handle is corroded check out this link for a how to : http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=226098.0
« Last Edit: 23 March 2012, 19:49 by richw911 »

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: Fixed my boot light.
« Reply #1 on: 03 April 2010, 17:14 »
nice motor you got there Rich  :laugh: :laugh: :sick: :sick:

Offline jonnyturbo

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 03 April 2010, 18:34 »
bit wire wool will sort that rich
Gone but still keeping a close eye on it...

Mk4 golf 1.8t AUM Hybrid K03s. Custom Mapped by R-tech to 260bhp. CR hybrid turbo Audi TT injectors / fuel pump, Forge tip,THS FMIC,Carbonio CAI, Full milltek turbo back, N249 bypass, Fully poly bushed, Weitec coils. Genuine R32 front bumper and Genuine R-line rear, Genuine Porsche twists, Anniversary black interior.

Offline northeast_gti-t

• Serious forum addict
  • "1.8T AGU"
« Reply #3 on: 03 April 2010, 23:24 »
nice mess  :sad: well and truly knackered
glad you got all sorted out now  :wink:
2000 Mkiv GTi 1.8T AGU

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
« Reply #4 on: 04 April 2010, 00:19 »
bit wire wool will sort that rich

lol not now its in the bin  :laugh:

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.

Offline tg1

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 04 April 2010, 10:21 »
sticky?

top job, got to do mine at some point, i might just go down the scrappy though and try and get a bootlid with a spoiler and hope the motor is ok on that one for a while. i'd dewiper it if the screen didn't get so dirty so fast,

Offline Stevea

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 28 August 2010, 18:36 »
What so annoys me, is that you could fix it cheaply if they could supply the brass tube/plastic end. It has a VW part number so why not?
I have joined the 2 pieces of brass tube together with a piece of Biro refill on mine.
The reason why mine failed was i left the car standing for 2 weeks while away on holiday - the brass tube stuck to its steel 'collar' in the wiper drive shaft & snapped when I cleared the screen to drive out of the car park for our return home.

Offline benccs

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 06 March 2012, 12:43 »
Hi guys,

I have the same problem that the luggage compartment light keeps coming on when the sensor is plugged in. The rear washer is now bone dry and has been for some time and I have changed the boot latch/sensor and the small wire connector that fits in to it but the message keeps coming up. Does anyone know of another sensor or why this is still happening. Searched the net but can't find any answers.

Cheers

Offline rebeccaj

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 23 January 2014, 20:06 »
Rich, this is great information - thank you!

My boot light doesn't go on (except for sometimes just for a moment, when the door has just been cracked open) and my rear wiper no longer works. I've got the back panel off but I think it would be better for me to let a pro do the actual replacements of the wiper motor and boot latch.

So I was wondering: can you please tell me how you know that the parts have been superseded and that a couple of new parts are required now? I want to give that information to my mechanic, and it would be great if there were a web page I could print, or something like that. I want to make sure the job gets done right, so we don't end up with the same problem down the road.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of where to find VW's latest recommendations? Or do you think I should trust the mechanic to be on top of it?

Thanks

Offline mcgee9t2

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 24 January 2014, 12:32 »
part numbers will be on the parts. if a part has been superseeded the old part will no longer be replaced and if they search for the old part number it will flag up that its been superseeded by a new part.

however when you say mechanic i assume you mean non vw garage? if so chances are they will use paiges or someone simelar not vw, therefore you will get a bosch or other brand equivalent. will work the same just not have a vw badge or number on it. all they need to know is the part not the part number...