Author Topic: MOT failure list (FAO Jay!) - fuel pump question  (Read 3573 times)

Offline cняis

• I live here
  • Know there's something burning over there...
MOT failure list (FAO Jay!) - fuel pump question
« on: 17 March 2010, 18:24 »
Good Lord!!

Today it was MOT time for the mk2 VR6.

to summarise: 17 failures, 18 advisories, alarm went haywire during the experience and now it runs rough as ....!!!

Most of the failures are simple things like brake pipes not securely fitted, rear pads worn, rear wheel bearing noisey etc. The rear axles mounts are sh*gged though! And these were only done a year ago. But it would explain why the car wanders all over the road at the moment!

The alarm stopped operating the central locking from the point at which i parked it up this morning, first time thats happened. Then it kept going off when the car was being MOT'd! but since ive got it home its back to normal!

Failed on emissions (CO 0.5% too high), perhaps that can be adjusted on the VR6, but on the drive home the engine started running rough as **** under load. Keeps dying on you when you accelerate, splutters like mad. plus idle is no longer steady. Lift pump isnt priming though and under body pump is very noisy so i suspect a faulty lift pump. The pump connector gets power.

Anyone know which lift pumps can be used? obviously the digi mk2 one can, but how about a mk3 one?

I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
Re: MOT failure list (FAO Jay!) - fuel pump question
« Reply #1 on: 17 March 2010, 19:23 »
Damn dude, that's quite a lot of things. You've not had much luck with her since you've had her  :undecided:

At least it's the 2nd car and you work for a motor factors, so hopefully get the parts required cheap :afro:
Passat B5.5 2.3 V5 170, with all the extras.

Want some online storage? Click here to sign up for a Dropbox account.

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.

Offline mattneck(Beavis)

• I live here
  • Bristol's Own (DJ) Beavis ;-)
« Reply #2 on: 17 March 2010, 19:31 »
Wh you working for now Chris?
Sig Removed. No Longer Applicable. New Sig? Nah. Not Yet..

Sharpo says: (16:57:39)
to be honest i dont doubt that half ggti users have a shortcut on their desktop for sharpie's last posts

Offline cняis

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 17 March 2010, 19:49 »
Wh you working for now Chris?

gillams in wincanton, small local factors. plus we've got our own workshop and MOT bay :afro: although sometimes i have to go to GSF for some bits...

not worried about 3/4 of the failures, theyre mostly minor things but im thinking the car is cursed!

any clues regards which fuel pumps work?

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #4 on: 17 March 2010, 21:05 »
From memory use a std digi lift pump from the mk2.
« Last Edit: 07 December 2011, 13:35 by Wayne »

Offline cняis

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 17 March 2010, 22:13 »
cheers wayne, this is what is currently fitted but was wondering if perhaps an early mk3 1.8 or 2.0 (8v) one would fit as theirs a few at our local breakers  :smiley:

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 17 March 2010, 22:39 »
mk3 pump means fitting mk3 tank.

if running vr6 of mk2 digi  fuel pump it needs to be in optimal health as vr6 runs 4 bar fuel pressure instead of the 3 bar the pump was desinged for
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline cняis

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 17 March 2010, 22:58 »
mk3 pump means fitting mk3 tank.

if running vr6 of mk2 digi  fuel pump it needs to be in optimal health as vr6 runs 4 bar fuel pressure instead of the 3 bar the pump was desinged for

in other words it needs to be a new pump! GSF list an in-tank pump for £21.50...? i take it this is only the pump and not the sender unit for fuel level? anybody know for sure?

183VG0320           FUEL PUMP-IN TANK           G2 1.8 8v F.Inj 8/83 >10/91           21.50

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #8 on: 18 March 2010, 09:02 »
that part is literally just the pump, i believe it comes with a new filter thingy as well. not hard to change over :)
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline cняis

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 18 March 2010, 13:27 »
that part is literally just the pump, i believe it comes with a new filter thingy as well. not hard to change over :)

cheers RJ, even if this isnt the problem, at least its only £21.50 rather than £100 for a complete assy

a week today the work starts! in for a penny in for a pound i say  :grin: