Author Topic: How do i swap red/yellow wires on headunit (pics) - [JOB DONE]  (Read 7240 times)

Offline MickeyC

• Here all the time
  • Mk4 GTI 1.8T
Ive seen a few topics regarding this fix but never seen any tutorials, for the non-DIY people like myself!

So i ripped my headunit out and im left with this...

what exactly do i need to swap round , is it just these 2 wires in the plug ....

Thanks for any help, ive also magically found an an antenna adaptor so i can have the radio back  :grin:
« Last Edit: 13 February 2010, 15:02 by MickeyC »

Offline MickeyC

• Here all the time
  • Mk4 GTI 1.8T
Re: How to swap red/yellow wires on headunit
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2010, 12:48 »
orrrrr is this what i need to do , unplug these and swap them round so it looks like the diagram in the circle...

Also what is the 2nd red wire for which is capped off on the end, is this just a spare or will i need to connect it somewhere?

Offline Alec

• I live here
Re: How do i swap red/yellow wires on headunit (pics)
« Reply #2 on: 13 February 2010, 12:51 »
Yeah just swap em round so yellow meets red etc and ignore the spare plug

I take it you are sick of losing your settings on the stereo every time you turn ignition off  :smiley:

Offline MickeyC

• Here all the time
  • Mk4 GTI 1.8T
« Reply #3 on: 13 February 2010, 12:54 »
Yeah just swap em round so yellow meets red etc and ignore the spare plug

I take it you are sick of losing your settings on the stereo every time you turn ignition off  :smiley:

Kool ill give it a whirl now and go and test it.

Yes im sick of losing all my EQ settings  :grin: I had to rip it out anyway to fit my antenna adapter, theres only so much CD you can listen too i need the radio for on the way to work.  :laugh:

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
« Reply #4 on: 13 February 2010, 14:29 »
Swap it like you've pictured in your 2nd post/3rd picture.  The clear things just pop apart if you pull them - the other red is a spare for other auxillaries. :afro:
Current Car:- 2014 GTI PP manual, white.

Make way for..... 'The Silver Bullet'! 227 bhp, KO3-S'd AGU, R-TECH Spec 2 map 8), Forge 007P, Blueflame Turbo-back, Eibach -30mm's, YellowStuff front/RedStuff rear pads, Goodridge braided lines, TT Short-shifter, R32 Dogbone, TT W/B bushes, Forge TIP, G60 fly/VR6 clutch, 5.5 ltr washer bottle,

Car now for sale >>> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=140614.0

Offline MickeyC

• Here all the time
  • Mk4 GTI 1.8T
« Reply #5 on: 13 February 2010, 15:01 »
Job Done!  :cool:

So easy yet so effective  :grin: Just stored all my radio stations and set my EQ, thats one thing bugging me out the way...  :grin: