Author Topic: replacing clutch cable  (Read 2904 times)

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
replacing clutch cable
« on: 03 February 2010, 13:02 »
right... 8v GTi 1995  ADY i think...

got a new clutch cable and I need to fit it.... not done this before

I am ok with the clutch end in the engine bay as I have done this before... but at the other pedal end I don't know where or how to start  :sad:

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Re: replacing clutch cable
« Reply #1 on: 03 February 2010, 13:19 »
I would start the pedal end, drop the undertray, you may / will also need to remove the scuttle panel plus the wiper linkage, I did on my 1996.

If your stuck give me a call.

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 03 February 2010, 13:31 »
I would start the pedal end, drop the undertray, you may / will also need to remove the scuttle panel plus the wiper linkage, I did on my 1996.

is it easy to thread though?

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 03 February 2010, 13:33 »

is it easy to thread though?

Should be, I had to remove the wiper linkage however as I could not get it through.

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #4 on: 03 February 2010, 14:50 »
I didn't have to remove the wiper linkage at all. Start at the pedal end for sure, remove scuttle panel and lower dash on the drivers foot well. Then thread the new cable into place and clip into the pedal, then just finish off with the clutch release arm.

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
« Reply #5 on: 03 February 2010, 17:33 »
before totally removing the old one i detached it from the pedal and tied some strong string to it (remove through the bay and attach the string to the new one) and used that to pull the new cable through the bulkhead without removing wipers etc
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 09 February 2010, 18:19 »
before totally removing the old one i detached it from the pedal and tied some strong string to it (remove through the bay and attach the string to the new one) and used that to pull the new cable through the bulkhead without removing wipers etc

i hadn't seen this reply but mr haynes told me to do this...

I managed it ok... took about an hour but it appears to be working fine

there is a 'slight' bit of slack between depressing the pedal and anything happening.. only driven it round the block though so will see if this affects anything

good news is that the clutch is still in working order  :cool:

thanks for your advice guys :afro:

Offline bored_Welsh_lad

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 09 February 2010, 20:17 »
if you take the clocks out it takes about 2 secs to hook onto the top of the pedal ;)
Mk3 Golf Gti:Full Milltek system and Decat,K&N filter,mk2 Cam,-1.5 degree camber shims, borbet a's, toyo proxies,hot tuning coils, brembo vented discs, greenstuff pads...Soon to have Eaton Power

mk3 16v 5dr Gti,mintex extreme pads,drilled/grooved discs,lowered,cat back powerflow system,omp panel filter with modified airbox,debadged grill, started prep for spraying, lots to come :D

Bumper Vents :D

Offline Deano2711

• I live here
  • 1992 VR6
« Reply #8 on: 09 February 2010, 20:23 »
If you take up Yoga you can avoid taking out the clocks. Lie in the footwell and clip the cable to the pedal then connect the other end to the arm....easier than removing clocks Mate

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #9 on: 10 February 2010, 00:13 »
Glad you got it sorted :afro: