Author Topic: LOWER S3 STRUT BRACE FITTING GUIDE  (Read 15956 times)

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
LOWER S3 STRUT BRACE FITTING GUIDE
« on: 03 January 2010, 14:54 »
(Lifted from ukmivs):-

part numbers for leon are exactly the same as for the mk4 golf (prices in brackets are from a stealer)

S3 lower brace  8N0 199 403 B (£12+vat)
riv/cap nut       N90 810 601 (80p+vat) x 2
Screw/bolt       N10 417 601 (53p+vat) x2
washers           N90 477 301 (42p+vat) x2

Me:-

You will need a ratchet & 17mm socket or spanner.

Please note that the part no's were (maybe still??) wrong for the washers, on ETKA (too small to go over the bolts).  I don't think they're THAT important for this bar, but I bought a pack of 10 from B&Q, & I'll post you 2 F.O.C. if you go through with it. :afro:

1)  Off the car, assemble the bar & bolts like this:

a)  Hold the bar, foam side DOWN (facing the floor).
  b)  The bar is marked with a green 'L' at one end - This goes on the N/S (passenger side) of a UK RHD car.
  c)  Place washers over bolts
  d)  Push bolts UP through the holes of the bar (so the heads are the side of the foam).
  e)  Screw riv caps on (finger tight only).

2)  SAFELY jack car up on stands etc.

3)  Get a mate or a spare jack etc to hold the bar in place.  The bar goes accross the Dogbone mount & there are only 2 holes in which it can screw into.  (Remember. foam side down, L on UK N/S).

4)  You may be thinking that the holes are too loose, as the bar just falls on the floor if you leave it on it's own.  (This is why you need your friend/jack to hold it in place).

5)  With the bar held flat to the car, keep tightening the nuts with your socket.  (Nip up the first side, then go to the other side & nip that one up, then back to the first side & fully tight this time, then finally fully tight on the 2nd side.  What happens is, the riv nuts expand into the subframe & grip tightly to it - This is why you need to hold it flat against the car whilst you tighten. ;)

I will be back later for the upper guide & maybe some pics. :)
« Last Edit: 28 February 2010, 12:18 by richw911 »
Current Car:- 2014 GTI PP manual, white.

Make way for..... 'The Silver Bullet'! 227 bhp, KO3-S'd AGU, R-TECH Spec 2 map 8), Forge 007P, Blueflame Turbo-back, Eibach -30mm's, YellowStuff front/RedStuff rear pads, Goodridge braided lines, TT Short-shifter, R32 Dogbone, TT W/B bushes, Forge TIP, G60 fly/VR6 clutch, 5.5 ltr washer bottle,

Car now for sale >>> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=140614.0

Offline Adam

• Forum addict
Re: LOWER S3 STRUT BRACE FITTING GUIDE
« Reply #1 on: 03 January 2010, 15:02 »
Cool might give this a go.

Does it do a lot for the handling?

Down Hill From Here.

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
« Reply #2 on: 03 January 2010, 21:01 »
Cool might give this a go.

Does it do a lot for the handling?

I only fitted it in conjunction with the upper one.  I was a bit skeptical at first, but together, they certainly tightened up the front end & sharpened up the turn-in a bit.  :)

TBH, if the lower one is good enough for the S3 & LCR & deemed a necessary edition by the VAG engineers, then it's good enough for me!  ;)
Current Car:- 2014 GTI PP manual, white.

Make way for..... 'The Silver Bullet'! 227 bhp, KO3-S'd AGU, R-TECH Spec 2 map 8), Forge 007P, Blueflame Turbo-back, Eibach -30mm's, YellowStuff front/RedStuff rear pads, Goodridge braided lines, TT Short-shifter, R32 Dogbone, TT W/B bushes, Forge TIP, G60 fly/VR6 clutch, 5.5 ltr washer bottle,

Car now for sale >>> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=140614.0

jamie16v

« Reply #3 on: 06 January 2010, 18:58 »
IMO thats a great cheap mod!!

Offline Dahmich

• GTI forum regular
  • OH HI!....I KNICKED THIS AVATAR..
« Reply #4 on: 24 April 2010, 06:56 »
nice one!
If Jesus Christ owned a rolling road and it was calibrated and tested by the three wise men you'd still get some jerk asking you to back up your figures, that's t'internet for ya

Offline Dave_IOW

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 20 December 2010, 12:02 »
Anyone know the revised part numbers for this? Just phoned dealer and they said these numbers dont exist anymore?
Project: Mk2 20vT trackslag
Daily: Mk2 GTI typ19

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
« Reply #6 on: 20 December 2010, 19:22 »
Anyone know the revised part numbers for this? Just phoned dealer and they said these numbers dont exist anymore?

Thats the only part number i can find for this part  :undecided:

Have you phoned TPS - they may be able to help  :undecided:

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.

Offline Dave_IOW

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 21 December 2010, 13:53 »
No, no TPS down here on Isle of Wight, although i have now ordered this through seat.

Read somewhere these were seat part numbers and worked at their parts department.

No idea of the VW/Audi numbers though  :undecided:

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #8 on: 23 December 2010, 22:31 »
Will sort you some part numbers tomorrow mate

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline Dave_IOW

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 24 December 2010, 14:15 »
Will sort you some part numbers tomorrow mate

Ive ordered through Seat mate, was promised they would be here before Xmas though :sad: