As I spend ages on here reading about what everyone else does to their motors, I thought I would share my experiences with you (plus I told Nick I would do this and I don't want to go back on my word
Anyway, for those that don't know, I used to have a Mk3 8v that, although people slate them, it never let me down and was a good solid motor
I put the Mk3 on ebay and offered it up with a silly high buy it now in the hope that someone would offer me a deal as I had said I was moving on to an older motor. Had lots of offers (a lot of sh!te mainly
) until this one really caught my eye
. So along with some very good advice from Nick (horney) and veedubgti16v, I reckon I had enough to go on to make sure that I didn't end up with a complete lemon
So, after many phone calls and a couple of meets the deal was done. I arrived there Tuesday afternoon in this.......
And came home in this............
Classic Green 2.0l 16v Corrado with 119,000 miles on the clock. Full stainless Magnex (which has seen better days but doesn't blow and is still in good enough order to last a while, but is on my "to-do" list. The only issue with the bodywork is a little bubbling on the rear arch which I'll get done in the new year
The first things I did were.......
Almost non-existant brakes
Wiper issue (blades not even touching the screen
A ghetto fix on the throttle body where the return spring had snapped.
(sorry, no photo's of these things done)
Drained the brake fluid, water and mud out of the system and replaced with some new fluid only and I have brakes again (still think I'll replace the master cylinder at some point. But at least it stops
Replaced the wiper mechanism (ebay for £1
) as it was worn and very loose. Now I can see when it rains
Replaced the entire throttle body thanks to a guy on the Corrado forum. Now it ticks over OK
With those things done I was able to start putting my mark on it.
1. Smoked side repeaters
2. Full valet on the interior (previous owner was a smoker
3. Clayed, 3 staged and tech waxed. (going to get some better wax for it ready for the winter).
4. Ride height was a little 4x4 for me
so off came the suspension (which I found that the shocks,springs and top mounts were all sh4gged
) and fitted a 40mm spring & shock kit with new bump stops & top mounts all round. What a difference
5. Bought some light tint spray and gave the rears a couple of coats to reduce the orange on the rear light clusters.
6. The wheels are not my thing so after a deal was done with RSCPK, I am the new owner of some 16" Brock B3's
2 of the tyres were bald (
) so I replaced them with some 205/45/16, I then realised in my hurry to get the old wheels off that I had forgotten that the wheels came with 2 good 205/40/16's on so I now have different profiles front to back :embarassed: going to get them done ASAP.
These pics were taken this morning just to let you know how far it's coming on (I will get some better ones soon I promise).
Future plans are to get the wheels refurbed (all kerbed at the mo) in a cream colour. Replace the drivers seat as the bolster foam has collapsed (seat isn't torn though) and get the rear arch sorted along with the bonnet resprayed as it is badly stonechipped (hence the bra).
I await your comments and abuse