Author Topic: ABS warning light comes on help pls  (Read 4954 times)

Offline nadlad

• I live here
  • Building Surveyor MRICS
ABS warning light comes on help pls
« on: 01 October 2009, 22:21 »
hi another problem this time what happens is sometimes when i fire the tractor up the abs light will stay on along with the yellow triangular traction light. What i do is just take the ignition off on few times and eventually they both stay off. I have noticed that at a low speed ie 5mph to 10mph if i accelerate off ie traffic lights i get this slight judder and heavy grinding noise it sounds like metal scraping against metal and the yellow triangular symbol will flash for a few secs but as soon as am above 10mph the car drives as normal. Ave recently had it swapped for anni springs and both cv joints if it can be relative. Please if anyone knows whats wrong then post as am currently writin this from my mobile in a hotel in somerset and am worried i may not complete my 300mile trip back to york tomorrow thanks guys   

<<<Big Build Thread>>>

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: ABS warning light comes on help pls
« Reply #1 on: 02 October 2009, 10:59 »
sounds like

a) haven't clipped an ABS sensor back in properly
b) caught the wires to the sensor and its not causing a short which causes the lights to come on

Steve_PD had this problem when he changed one of his cv joints and I believe its because the sensor had come loose  :undecided:

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: 02 October 2009, 11:21 »
mine was both the abs and traction control light on all the time. Turned out to be the abs sensor had unplugged
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

Offline nadlad

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 02 October 2009, 17:39 »
well i made it back to york ok!

i cant work out why it makes the scrapign noise though why the sound of metal on ,metal surely if its sensor related then all it wud do is put a light on bu tthis sounds mechanical grind noise...

also it only does this at about 8mph as soon as your over 10 its perfect!!!

<<<Big Build Thread>>>

Offline nadlad

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 03 October 2009, 10:27 »
well i fault read the code with a device and it came up with front drivers side abs sensor so am gettign a new sensor fitted as we speak, the part was 22 inc vat from pages....

<<<Big Build Thread>>>

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
« Reply #5 on: 03 October 2009, 14:42 »
did you check to make sure that it wasn't unplugged :huh:

could be that when the CV joint was done they damaged the abs sensor ring on the hub, which was then hitting the metal part of the sensor causing the grinding sound  :undecided:
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

Offline nadlad

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 03 October 2009, 21:37 »
i think ure right steve pd as today i go the new sensor on but i heard it make the grindign noise again the sensor is so small tho its made of plastic but this grind noise is defenately metal on metal it feels liek soem thign is rubbign against the hub but only momenteraly once above 10mph its normal please please help me am absolutely stumped

<<<Big Build Thread>>>

Offline nadlad

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 04 October 2009, 01:25 »
i can also soemtimes feel a judder when i brake and i have noticed when i turn it mainly makes the grinding noise and the abs light will flash

<<<Big Build Thread>>>

Offline CheifWigham

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 04 October 2009, 10:06 »
I kinda have this issue on my Mk3 GTi, I have been told that its a sticky valve inside the ABS unit itself, I only found I had an issue when it went for its MOT last month the joker who sold me the car had disconnected the lead, must of bugged him keep coming on lol

I have a suggestion though if it is the ABS unit as been told they are really expensive, get the AA parts and labour warranty thing it might be about £100 and you have an excess of the first £50 but its still cheaper than a £300 ABS unit plus the service charge on top lol

Oh and yes this does work I did it on a Fiat Bravo I owned years ago when the master cylinder went  :evil:

Offline nadlad

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 04 October 2009, 12:39 »
hi,

fistly i thought it may be the abs sensor as it came up on a fault front driverside abs ,,,, so i got the new abs sensor for22 pound inc vat and 15 pound labour, however i still get this weird sort of noise its liek the hub is scrapign against soem thign the car doesnt drive smooth, and then at really low speed and especially if am turning right i can hear a grind/scrape noise and the yellow triangle will flash, ave just ha my cv joints done on the front right and left but it still doing.

<<<Big Build Thread>>>