Author Topic: Effect of 100km/h to 0km/h on a Golf Mk6 GTD in a second  (Read 31850 times)

Offline howlingmoon

• Here all the time
Hi all,

An accident in Wolfburg on 17 September.... 4 out of the 5 occupants in the car are dead. They did not wear safety belts. Shows how irresponsible driving can caused so much damage. The car was only a few hours old. I do not want to be the dad who's son was driving it. It surely sobers me up...

Please drive responsible...  I attach some pics of the accident... from the Welt newspaper... Here's the German news website that carried the news..

http://www.welt.de/vermischtes/article4554186/Vier-junge-Maenner-sterben-in-fabrikneuem-Golf-GTD.html

http://www.bild.de/BILD/news/2009/09/17/wolfsburg-vier-tot-im-fabrikneuen-golf/100-stundenkilometer.html

HM

« Last Edit: 20 September 2009, 21:56 by howlingmoon »
GTI Mk6 United Grey, 18" Monza Shadows, RNS310, Executive Package, ACC

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: Effect of 100km/h to 0km/h on a Golf Mk6 GTI in a second
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2009, 21:50 »
 :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #2 on: 20 September 2009, 21:50 »
Hold on, so this £28k car I'm buying halfed in two ? Erm.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #3 on: 20 September 2009, 21:53 »
Surly more than 100kmh to split one in two with a tree?

Nick

Offline VWKev

• I live here
Re: Effect of 100km/h to 0km/h on a Golf Mk6 GTD in a second
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2009, 22:00 »
I'd be asking VW questions of why my car split in 2.

More I look at that, the more it looks horrible  :sad:

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2009, 22:01 »
Car's do split in two when they hit a tree side on, but that has to have been more than 100kph (62mph).

nick

Offline howlingmoon

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2009, 22:03 »
According to the news report, the car hit a traffic island and got launched into the tree... yeah, 100km/h does not sound much... but the pictures are rather conclusive...

Offline VWKev

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 20 September 2009, 22:08 »
Car's do split in two when they hit a tree side on, but that has to have been more than 100kph (62mph).

nick

Agreed. If my car hits a tree at 60mph and it splits in two, I'd be taking VW to court.

Offline howlingmoon

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 20 September 2009, 22:10 »
I think if I hit a tree and the car splits into two, I would not be in the mood to talk to anyone...   :cry:

Offline DDRFan

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 20 September 2009, 22:19 »
The occupants didn't wear belts? That's just mental. I wouldn't want to wish death on anybody, but I have to say it's just stupid not to be wearing belts. Doesn't the Mk6 have 3-point belts on all seats anyway? There isn't really an excuse.

Having said that perhaps being dead in that situation isn't such a bad thing. Something that I think may not be so desirable is having belts/airbags or whatever protect you from medical death, but you just end up a cabbage.

A few weeks ago when I was enjoying the thrills of Alton Towers, on the walk back to the car, I saw a somewhat unorthodox use of the interior space in what I believe was a Mk4 Golf - driver and shotgun passenger, then I think 4 maybe 5 on the back seat, and a girl in the boot  :shocked:

I know modern cars are built to withstand certain impacts, but surely you aren't helping if you are stuffing yourselves inside like sardines?
« Last Edit: 20 September 2009, 22:20 by DDRFan »