Author Topic: Gap Insurance  (Read 8435 times)

Offline Zico

• Just got here

Offline DDRFan

• GTI forum regular
Re: Gap Insurance
« Reply #31 on: 21 September 2009, 21:35 »
Hi all
like many others here i'm considering GAP insurance. to be honest it's a done deal assuming I do decide to purchase the car.

Like many others I've been offered it at the main stealer. Apparently it's a legal-or-something requirement that they offer you this. I remember buying my Yaris some years ago and vaguely remember even signing a document to say the salesman offered GAP to me but I declined.

There is a big difference between a Yaris and a GTI though. For the sake of a few hundred notes, I think it's well worth it. You don't want to spend you hard earned life earnings on a nice motor, then some crackhead robs your keys and you never see it again, and insurance only pays 75% of what you originally paid or something. Considering the desirable-factor of GTI these days, I believe it will happen more often than on other cars. A bit harsh to say but I genuinely believe it to be true, although I sincerely hope it doesn't happen to me or any other GTI driver.

I'm in a bit of a muddle though, I hope peeps can help. I'm waiting for my GTI (should expect it around mid December-ish) and ordered it with the stealer 3 year GAP policy at £395 - so it's actually written on the order sheet.

after reading this and other forums, I came across www.ala.co.uk and it seems I can have an equivalent policy of £170.10
When the GTI is ready for delivery, am I likely to be able to use this to haggle the £395 down before I settle the balance? It's quite a big chunk. Would be nice for some petrol and air freshners more than anything :smiley: I'm not too sure on the specific differences between that Ala policy and the dealer offered policy. If anybody else has ever had any experience with Ala I would appreciate any advice offered.

Offline DL

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #32 on: 21 September 2009, 21:45 »
Very quick plug for my wifes company and who we are insured with, the NFU. They still pay out new for old if your car is less than 2 years old so no need for GAP insurance. We had our 18 month MK5 stolen and 2 weeks later we were driving a brand new MK6!! You do pay more for the premium but as the age old saying goes "you gets what you pay for"

Offline DDRFan

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #33 on: 22 September 2009, 01:30 »
Very quick plug for my wifes company and who we are insured with, the NFU. They still pay out new for old if your car is less than 2 years old so no need for GAP insurance. We had our 18 month MK5 stolen and 2 weeks later we were driving a brand new MK6!! You do pay more for the premium but as the age old saying goes "you gets what you pay for"
Thanks for the tip
I presume the website is http://www.nfumutual.co.uk/
i'm a bit wary you say your GTI was nicked  :shocked: kinda makes me scared - i hope it wasn't too bad for you
i'm a bit wary of what would happen if when I get mine and it might get nicked or need going to the shop for repair, how would I get to work? i guess if worst comes to worse i could catch the bus, otherwise i may consider a policy that offers courtesy car too, obviously i would have to pay though.... wait maybe my existing policy already has courtesy car? i never checked... i sound so dumb don't i

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
« Reply #34 on: 22 September 2009, 07:43 »

IMO haggle now with the dealer.  its not as if it'll affect the factory build.

some will drop others won't.  if they don't then just take it off the order list and buy thrid party.  might as well know now rather than dec.  plus if you do it when the car arrives, the pull of the car being so close will weaken your bargaining power.

Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!

Offline mags

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #35 on: 22 September 2009, 09:11 »
I do 10000miles a year and planning to keep the car for 5. Dealer quote me £395 for 3 years. I had signed the dotted line.
Sort of regret about my decision.  :sick:I had never written off my car since I pass my test. Is it worth getting Gap Insurance???
Should I had spend that money on a service agreement or extended warranty instead?

I have always taken the GAP with my Audis and VWs and the price has been around £150 as that is what they pay for it. I got it free with my wifes Gti bought last month.
MK6 Gti Carbon Grey, DSG, 19in BBS, Bluetooth, RNS510, Luxury Pack, Leather, Cruise control, Tyre indicator, Park assist, Front and rear sensors, Reverse Camera.

Offline AlanH

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 22 September 2009, 12:53 »
Definitely haggle. I went into the dealer with three online quotes. Dealer agreed to match the cheapest online quote - £170.
Mk7 GTD | 3-door, Carbon Grey, Keyless, Dynaudio, Pano roof.

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 22 September 2009, 13:20 »
Definitely haggle.

i got the £500 free!  so haggle!
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....