Author Topic: Tyres  (Read 25003 times)

Offline Gung-Ho

• Here all the time
Tyres
« on: 26 June 2009, 00:08 »
Picked up my car last week and noticed they came with a set of Continental Sport Contact 2's (funny enough the same standard tyres that came with my Focus ST).  However, I've noticed that tyre choice varies from one car to another.  I've noticed that some Mk 6 GTi's come delivered with the slightly newer Continental Sport Contact 3, whilst others come delivered with Dunlop SP Sport Maxx or Michelin Pilot Sport 2's.

Is it a case of luck of the draw?  I would have thought that they would have chosen a standardized tyre.... the tyre choice being so critical to the ride and handling of the car?
Current Toys: Mk7 Golf R 5dr 'Manual', Lapiz Blue, 18" Cadiz Alloys... Caterham R300 Superlight... new Mazda MX5 2.0 SE-L (ND)

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
Re: Tyres
« Reply #1 on: 26 June 2009, 06:50 »
That was the same with the MK5 - just luck of the draw.

If anyone ends up with the dunlops - bin them or insist the dealer changes them.  They are shyte. :sick:
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline carl1

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 26 June 2009, 07:43 »
i think mine came with Bridgestones, will check later
GTI manual PP, now sold  :-(

Offline Egbutt Wash

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 26 June 2009, 12:49 »

My GTI came with Bridgestones.  I replaced the fronts with Goodyear Eagle F1's.  The Bridgestones were just as good as the F1's, infact they were better when cold, the F1's need some warmth in the tyre.
Currently digging a bunker.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #4 on: 26 June 2009, 17:00 »

My GTI came with Bridgestones.  I replaced the fronts with Goodyear Eagle F1's.  The Bridgestones were just as good as the F1's, infact they were better when cold, the F1's need some warmth in the tyre.

You mean you replaced them once the Goodyears were worn ?

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline andrewl

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 29 June 2009, 20:13 »
just reading thread use to have conti 2"s on my r32 and thet were shyte, you wouldnt thought the car was 4 wheel drive. i now have a edition 30 with sport max and i dont think they are as bad as people are making out. i think vw shouldnt fit old design tyres to the new gti mk 6.

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 29 June 2009, 20:58 »
just reading thread use to have conti 2"s on my r32 and thet were shyte, you wouldnt thought the car was 4 wheel drive. i now have a edition 30 with sport max and i dont think they are as bad as people are making out. i think vw shouldnt fit old design tyres to the new gti mk 6.

trust me i have had both the F1's and the sportmaxx.... they are miles and miles apart in terms of performance. each to their own though i guess. :smiley:

Offline gossa

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 29 June 2009, 21:27 »
I've ended up with the Dunlops, they don't feel bad in comparison to the Pirellis on the Scirocco.

Offline Gene Hunt.

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 01 July 2009, 16:12 »
Try www.mytyres.co.uk & have a look at the vredestein sessanta.
« Last Edit: 01 July 2009, 16:14 by Gene Hunt. »
Candy White ED35.

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
« Reply #9 on: 04 August 2009, 00:39 »
Try www.mytyres.co.uk & have a look at the vredestein sessanta.

ok and?

they seem kinda cheap... at 90 odd quid, look ok, but hows the drive?

I've not heard of this brand before, are they supposed to be any good?

Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!