Author Topic: Fuel Pump Housing  (Read 6146 times)

Offline hobbes

• Not said much yet
Fuel Pump Housing
« on: 26 May 2009, 13:23 »
My car failed its MOT Friday for a fuel leak.  On the inspection ramp it appeared the fuel pump housing as well as the accumulator is weeping fuel when running.  I've sourced a used part but a little worried about un-bolting the whole thing from the car as its been exposed to the elements for 17 odd years.  Any tips you guys have for not shearing anything off?  WD40?
Mk2 Golf GTI 16v
Mk4 Golf GT TDI

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Fuel Pump Housing
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2009, 14:37 »
get a new one, they arnt expensie. also get 4 new rubber mounts, plus a new fuel pump seal and the 3 screws used to secure it to the housing.  what car is it?
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline hobbes

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2009, 15:50 »
Hi John, Its a late mk 2 16v
Mk2 Golf GTI 16v
Mk4 Golf GT TDI

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2009, 17:56 »
cool, gsf sell the housing and its gen vag
18370B  FUEL PUMP HOUSING    G2 16V 2/86 >10/91    43.00
MMWK853/1  FUEL FILTER    G2 1.8 16V 86>89    10.90
MMWK834/1  FUEL FILTER-BQ    G2 1.8 16V 8/89>    8.40

rest of the bits are VAG only. take it from someone who has done this twice in the past, you dont want to mess about with 2nd hand housings, or take a chance on them rubber mounts, they always rip in half :grin:

N 90262802 - fuel pump seal - 3.9€
N 10404701 - fuel pump screw - 0.24€ x3 
191201256 - rubber mount - 4.1€ x4

you'll also need 8 M6 washers & nuts for the mounts, plus a 20mm M6 bolt, nut & 2 washers either side for the pump/accumulator pinch clamps if the old ones dont play nice.

Tip for you, lift up the boot carpet and take out the round metal plate, under here you'll find the lift pump. disconnect the 2 fuel lines here or all the fuel will drain out the tank from capilery action, been there got the t shirt :grin:

Offline dubburke

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2009, 20:06 »
I know what you mean i changed my fuel pump tonight, what a nightmare :laugh: the accumilator pipe was siezed solid, lucky the accumilator pipe came with the pump, it took a while to stop a drip of fuel, but got there in the end :smiley:

Offline hobbes

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2009, 22:14 »
Hi John,
Right, i kinda of ignored your advice and found a complete used unit comprising of the box, fuel pump, accumulator, fuel filter and the whole box it sits in but......in trying to under one of the union bolts the bracket for the accumulator snapped.... 

However, on reflection i think the problem i had of leaking fuel is two fold - fuel seeping from the pump which from your previous post i can source a new pump seal direct from VW - is that right?  the second leak looked to be coming from the accumulator area around the brackets however as this looks to be a complete sealed unit i'm now wondering if it is the two fuel pipes that sit above.  on closer examination the pipes themselves look in quite good condition so i'm wondering if it could be that they weren't seated/sealed right....  the two clips securing them are now in tatters, what is the best clamp to hold them in and is there something like a sealant/paste i can apply to help make a good seal.  your advice, as always, is much appreciated.

if i appear a bit naive its because i'm new to this sort of thing, i love tinkering with cars and i've always wanted a mk 2 so i thought why not learn as i go.....i'm an accountant by day...
Mk2 Golf GTI 16v
Mk4 Golf GT TDI

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2009, 08:08 »
you might find the pump leak isnt the seal at all, but a crack in the accumulator housing. I had this on my digifant 8v, one of the screws had corroded so badly it spread and cracked the plastic.

as for the accumulator pipes, I'm not sure what you mean? they have threaded fittings not clamps?  It could be the accumulator itself, I've seen them rust thru the side of the unit where the clamp is, and I'ver also seen them leak out the end where the wee screw is (giveaway that its toast)

Offline edd16v

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2009, 13:36 »
I've just replaced the housing and accumulator, be careful when removing these pipes as on of them (I think its the one from the accumulator to the fuel filter) is discontinued from VW. Don't know if you can get them anywhere else. These pipes definatly should have clips they have threaded unions.

Every bolt I undone was seized and snapped and I rerplaced all of the rubber mounts.

Offline hobbes

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2009, 21:20 »
Really buggered now.  any ideas how i can get the pipe of the accumulator goes to the fuel filter.  this thing is stuck fast and i have very little purchase on it and i really don't want to damage the pipe that goes from the accum. to the fuel pump.

if i do bugger these pipes, is there any chance of sourcing replacements???? 
Mk2 Golf GTI 16v
Mk4 Golf GT TDI

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #9 on: 02 June 2009, 10:30 »
there should be a spanner flat on the accumulator, might be mostly missing but if you tap a spanner onto it hopefully it'll be strong enough not to round off.