Author Topic: Personal POI's update not working  (Read 4045 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Personal POI's update not working
« on: 16 February 2017, 08:29 »
Hi all, wonder if anyone has come across this and can assist please.

I've just tried to update my Personal POI's like I've done a few times before, and previously it's all worked fine, but this time when trying to update in the car it searches for an update then just comes back with an error sating no software update found ?

I did the following (as I have done in the past successfully a number of times)

1. Downloaded all my POI's and logos from my usual Pocket GPS world site that I'm a member of.
2. Went to the VW site - "www.volkswagen.de/de/navigation/discover-pro/poi-listen-sammlung.html"
3. Entered all my various categories etc then saved them as a zip file onto the PC
4. Extracted the zip file (called My_POIs) into the ROOT directory of an empty SD card
5. This created a new folder called "PersonalPOI" and a file called "metainfo2.txt" . These as stated are in the root directory of the SD card. Inside the folder there are 3 other folders called - "MIB2DE", "MIB2HIGH" & "MIB2TSD"
6. When you insert the SD card into the media unit, immediately a splash screen shows on screen saying "SOFTWARE UPDATE" "...READING USB2"
7. I then go to Navigation, settings, "Manage memory" followed by "UPDATE PERSONAL POI'S"
8. A requester then appears with an update button, but it then is automatically searching for updates (i.e. I can't select the download location", and after 30 seconds or so I get an error stated no updates found ?

I can't remember if anything's changed since the last time I did this in May last year so if anyone has any ideas, it would be most welcome. I've tried different SD cards, and both SD card slots but nothing seems to work ?
« Last Edit: 16 February 2017, 08:31 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Re: Personal POI's update not working
« Reply #1 on: 16 February 2017, 08:51 »
Never mind - sorted.

For anyone else that has these issues, it seems inside the main "PersonalPOI" Folder, the 3 sub folders pertain to Various different media systems. Not sure what the "MIB2DE" is (unless it's Gen 1 units), but I assumed that the "MIB2HIGH" was MIB2 Navigation Pro and "MIB2TSD" is the standard 6.5" Discover Navigation.

In any case, I deleted everything off the SD card and instead put the contents of what was inside the "MIB2HIGH" folder in the root of the SD card (that was a folder called "PersonalPOI" and a file called "metainfo2.txt". I then tried again in the car and it immediately saw the update and loaded all the POI's perfectly onto the system.

So it seems the VW website now creates a number of POI "packages" to suit the various media systems fitted to the MK7 and you just need to unpack the contents of the folder that matches your headunit only. They should have said something like on the website.

In any case, hopefully this will help somebody else.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 23 February 2017, 15:13 »
Here's a weird one for you all.

Recently updated my personal POI's as per above (mainly for the updated Speed cameras), however I've noticed something weird.

When approaching a speed camera, my Discover Nav Pro (MIB II) bongs to tell me (as I'd set the POI's to play a sound), however it only goes off when I'm about 50ft away from the camera (i.e. right on top of it).

I also installed the same POI's in her new Polo Blue GT at the same time, but for her Discover Navigation (MIB II). In her car however using the same database, the bong noise if made a good 5-6 seconds before each camera (which is about the right sort of distance).

Is there anyway that's known to increase the warning distance on the Discover Pro ?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 23 February 2017, 15:21 »
I found this thread:

http://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/10551-mib2-discover-pro-adding-speed-cameras-warnings/page-2

Seems if you edit the POI files you can set an activation radius distance (see page 2)

Of course you'd need to probably find a way of automatically editing the files - because you'd not want to do that by hand with a list of UK speed cameras!

Quite why your wife's polo has the radius set different i don't know...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 23 February 2017, 16:50 »
Thanks Fred - I'll have a mooch.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 30 March 2017, 19:24 »
Never mind - sorted.

For anyone else that has these issues, it seems inside the main "PersonalPOI" Folder, the 3 sub folders pertain to Various different media systems. Not sure what the "MIB2DE" is (unless it's Gen 1 units), but I assumed that the "MIB2HIGH" was MIB2 Navigation Pro and "MIB2TSD" is the standard 6.5" Discover Navigation.

In any case, I deleted everything off the SD card and instead put the contents of what was inside the "MIB2HIGH" folder in the root of the SD card (that was a folder called "PersonalPOI" and a file called "metainfo2.txt". I then tried again in the car and it immediately saw the update and loaded all the POI's perfectly onto the system.

So it seems the VW website now creates a number of POI "packages" to suit the various media systems fitted to the MK7 and you just need to unpack the contents of the folder that matches your headunit only. They should have said something like on the website.

In any case, hopefully this will help somebody else.

This would not work for me. I tried loading the contents of MIB2TSD onto my MIB2 Discover Nav many times with different SD cards, re-formatting, a USB stick etc. all with no result. I only succeeded once I tried loading the top level file and folder, containing the 3 versions. I now have speed camera POI's with warning beeps, although to call the beeps subtle is very generous! Better than nothing, but a work in progress.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.