Author Topic: Went to look at a mk4 Gti  (Read 7779 times)

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
Went to look at a mk4 Gti
« on: 15 May 2009, 08:58 »
Viewed a mk4 GTi yesterday ('99 plate).  Low mileage (72k).  Clean inside and out.  1 owner.  Not sure if the belts been done?

FSH.  Flicked through some receipts:  Some mention of work due to water loss, re-tapped spark plug threads (!), repair to water leak from roof...

Fired it up with a cough of smoke (leaving black soot mark on floor), fumes were rich and with a poke of the pedal some white smoke.  Also idling a little rough from cold.  Didn't run it for too long as that kinda put me off!   :undecided:

Stay well clear of this one or typical cold-start stuff?

Build thread clicky

Offline Stronz

• I live here
  • Sold!
Re: Went to look at a mk4 Gti
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2009, 09:13 »
What engine was it?

Sounds a little dodgy to me. If in doubt, look elsewhere. its the only way you'll get piece of mind.

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2009, 09:17 »
2.0 GTi

Was it cold, has it been ragged, is it a common / simple sensor fault etc?...  just put me off you know.

Been told it was used this week so not like it's been stood around for ages.

Next!

Build thread clicky

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2009, 09:21 »
There are enough of them out there to walk away and find one that runs fine. I've seen far too many 2.0s with running issues that never get fully resolved. Any particular reason you want a 2.0 over the 1.8T ?

Offline perd999

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2009, 09:29 »
I deffo would leave the 2.0 and go for the 1.8T, personal opinion but ive had both and 1.8T weighed up the best by far... :cool:

Offline linz

• I live here
  • vee-dub
« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2009, 09:33 »
def sounds like there is a lil problem there somewhere could be something simple like coilpacks but who knows

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2009, 09:34 »
Aye, it has put me off going back.

TBH, the sort of money I'm looking at spending (and in terms of running / maintenance costs) the Turbos available are showing higher miles than I'd have confidence in.

Give me time, I'll start with the GTi and move on up when I know a bit more about them!   :tongue:

Build thread clicky

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2009, 09:41 »
In terms of running costs, the 2.0 seems to drink more petrol than the 1.8T, and most of them seem to like drinking oil also! Mileage is always a tricky one. A poorly maintained (or even just following the vw recommended service schedule) low miler might not be as good as an enthusiast maintained high miler. At 130k mine was running sweet as a nut when i sold it (albeit with a slipping clutch) as I did all the servicing myself every 5k miles!

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2009, 09:55 »
Being an ex 2.0 owner Toph is right. The 2.0 will use more petrol as you need to put you foot down so much more to get anywhere. Its MASSIVELY underpowered. It also drinks oil like there no tomorrow, imo the 2.0 is a false economy and id highly suggest you opt for the 1.8T.

If its a GTI your after dont bother with the 2.0, 115BHP in the nicest possible way is pathetic. If you want a nice motor with all the GTI spec and a smaller insurance bill then get the 2.0. (FYI the 2.0 isnt called a GTI in Europe, its called a Highline and is only a GTI in the UK to get more sales)

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2009, 10:01 »
Problem is I'm looking to trade in, I got to go with what I know and can see on the forecourt. 

If I see a nice well maintained Turbo I'd go for it, but what I'm seeing available is lots of 5dr GTis, higher mileage 3drs and very high mileage Turbos. 

Rock and a hard place.  Wish me luck!

Build thread clicky