Author Topic: Am I the next victim?  (Read 29070 times)

Offline C3PO

• GTI forum regular
Re: Am I the next victim?
« Reply #110 on: 20 December 2013, 21:29 »
Ross, I have mine booked in with White Rose VW in Crosshills. I would recommend them, bearing in mind I drive 130 miles to get my car serviced, they give great customer service, and Ben the service manager owns a mk5 himself, so he knows about this issue, has a copy of the TPI, so you should get what you are looking for.
Neil

Just called Ben at VW in Crosshills, what a delight to speak to such a knowledgeable technician. He knew the fault instantly and reassured me that the warranty company will pay at least 90% of the whole bill and that he could have it fixed and ready to go in 2-3 tops.

Booked in for 8th-9th January. Thank Neil for the recommendation, I will be using him for all future work on my motor (major service in February)

Pleasure, I have used this dealership for 8 years and never had any issues. For interest they normally win dealership of the year based on customer feedback. Why? Because they care and they are independent, and run by a man who is passionate about customer service.
Mk6 GTI, 18" monza shadows, Leather, Bluetooth Phone - gone

Mark 7 R, 19" wheels, lapiz blue, 5 door, leather, reversing camera - gone

2018 Audi S5 Sportback, pano roof, LED Headlights  B&O sound system - gone

Current 2020 Golf GTI TCR, pure grey, pano roof , 90% tints and Akrapovic exhaust.

Offline andygo

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #111 on: 20 December 2013, 22:38 »
Haha. What could possibly go wrong?

What is stupeyfying is that VW are happy to let customers go through all this hassle. Seriously thinking of moving away from VW cars. I have had in the past 2 mk1 gti's, 5 mk 2's, 2 mk5's (inc. am Ed35) a Corrado and currently a mk6 gti. From the Audi VW stable I have had a Quattro, A4 sport, 2x225 TT,s.

That's 14 personally owned vehicles...
a mk5 ed35  :laugh: did you not mean ed30

Yep. Just testing...

Offline Hartside

• I live here
« Reply #112 on: 21 December 2013, 10:07 »
Does anyone have the original email they sent to VW Customer care about this issue so we can all use it as a template and adjust where necessary. Will save time for the the lads who are about to go through the process and i will attach it to the sticky thread.

thanks

Unfortunately not, it's an online template you fill out. I was hoping they would send a copy/confirmation but they don't. If I'd been on the ball, I should have cut and pasted the text into a word doc.
Carbon Grey 5dr GTI

Offline Obbzi

• I live here
« Reply #113 on: 25 December 2013, 23:50 »
Well I picked my car up on Christmas Eve after being without her for 3 weeks!

I was told that I would have to pay for the diagnostics (£1500!) as the warranty doesn't cover this ( which my warranty does say it doesn't cover diagnostics :cry:)

So a complete brand spanking new engine all internals top end etc we're fitted and when I went to collect her the service manager said they would cover ALL costs so I didn't have to pay a penny!!

Best Christmas present ever  :smiley: :smiley:

2008 R32 DBP gone. 2008 GT TDI going 2009 GTI coming soon!

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #114 on: 25 December 2013, 23:54 »
Good news. That was a bit if a shocker that the warrenty wont cover the 1500 but at least the garage did the decent thing.

It is making me think twice about extending my warranty in march. :shocked:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Obbzi

• I live here
« Reply #115 on: 25 December 2013, 23:59 »
Good news. That was a bit if a shocker that the warrenty wont cover the 1500 but at least the garage did the decent thing.

It is making me think twice about extending my warranty in march. :shocked:

I know after I spoke to the dealer I scrutinised my warranty and was gutted when I read it doesn't cover diagnostics  :shocked:

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #116 on: 26 December 2013, 00:03 »
And yet any decent mechanic could diagnose that in less than an hour. 
But oh no vw technicians have to go by their book and charge 15 times the amount  :lipsrsealed:
Makes me mad when they KNOW this is an issue.
I bet noone in Germany or america has to pay any labour repair costs or diagnostic costs.

Good on your dealer to cover this though thumbs up for them.
« Last Edit: 26 December 2013, 00:08 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline andygo

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #117 on: 26 December 2013, 09:09 »
I can't understand why they can't undo the small cover on end of the inlet cam and check the timing by looking at the blue link on the timing chain and making sure it lines up when on TDC.

My point is that if the compression is low,mthen the aloes must be bent. The only way you get bent valves are when the valve timing has moved. The only way that can happen is if the timing chain has slipped.

Amateurs.

Offline Obbzi

• I live here
« Reply #118 on: 26 December 2013, 23:09 »
And yet any decent mechanic could diagnose that in less than an hour. 
But oh no vw technicians have to go by their book and charge 15 times the amount  :lipsrsealed:
Makes me mad when they KNOW this is an issue.
I bet noone in Germany or america has to pay any labour repair costs or diagnostic costs.

Good on your dealer to cover this though thumbs up for them.

I did all the diagnostics for them, told them exactly what the problem was  :wink: