Author Topic: Isn’t it interesting.....  (Read 2861 times)

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
Isn’t it interesting.....
« on: 13 January 2021, 18:11 »
I am the happy owner of a Mk 7.5 Performance and can’t envisage changing to a Mk8 at all.

However , I thoroughly enjoy reading the Mk8 forum and feel the GTI forum buzz in the same way as I did when I first joined the Mk7, then 7.5 forum.

What has been interesting and maybe different this time is the presence of BMW 1 series debate. Perhaps it’s a tribute to VW that BMW has tried so hard to recreate the GTI vibe with their own products.

Anyway, despite intending to hang on to my 7.5 for a long time, I still check the Mk8 forum before the Mk7 one. So keep up the debates and new car buzz please.

The point of this post? None really other than the usual regular posters seem a nice bunch and always worth reading.

2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Isn’t it interesting.....
« Reply #1 on: 13 January 2021, 18:24 »
Likewise :smiley:. The Mk7 forum has slowed down considerably over the last few months and although there's a greater chance of intelligent life being discovered in government than my opening my wallet anytime soon for another car, I do like to read car related musings.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 13 January 2021, 18:36 »
More to come I'm sure. Lots of people have got mk8 orders in and also expect a raft of 128ti opinions to arrive fairly soon. GRY chat seems to have gone quiet but i expect that will bubble back up soon.

Next will be chat about the new i30n...

All good stuff considering most of us are sat at home bored to tears. I enjoy my time i spend here with everyone.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 13 January 2021, 18:52 »
I have nothing Mk7 to speak about anymore so I love this place. Tell you what though, I got in my R on the way home from work today and just thought why bother changing ever again. Flaming brilliant.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 13 January 2021, 19:08 »
Going back a few months, the Mk8 GTi was an abomination and nobody was buying one. Then familiarity set in, emotions calmed down (a bit) and all of a sudden we have a lively and active Mk8 forum with lots of helpful contributions and friendly banter. We have some new members offering valuable insight, and have even welcomed back Exonian after a short jaunt on the dark side.

I've no plans to upgrade my Mk7.5 to a Mk8 any time soon, but I do still read this forum every day.  :smiley:
7.5 GTD

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 13 January 2021, 20:10 »
This is the first- and as yet only- forum I have joined. Gotta agree with the general sentiment- an excellent forum. It does enhance your enjoyment of ownership learning from others’ experience- and in fact comparing different cars.
As for the mk8- Exonian posted recently that mks 5,6,7,8 all as good as each other. He should know, he’s owned a few. And if the mk8 is anywhere near as good as my 7.5, it must be a great car.

I like this little piece by Chris harris- I know it’s a mk7- but it sums up the golf gti’s place in the “ hot hatch story”!-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kTU3S3og7WY

2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 13 January 2021, 20:12 »
And there are also those members who no longer have a Golf who still contribute to forum discussions such as Jim_mk7.5 and myself.

I’ve not owned a Golf since 2016 but I still pop in most days - mostly the mk7 and mk8 forum boards, but also occasionally other forum boards too.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Al1040

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 13 January 2021, 20:30 »
I likewise have no intention of getting a MK 8, but love to engage with like minded folks who don't mind a bit of banter and have valuable experience to impart to the less knowledgeable.

Long may it continue :grin:
67 Plate Mk 7.5 GTD DSG

Offline Spittfire

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 13 January 2021, 20:33 »
Same here, I keep coming back. Ive flirted with Audi’s and BM’s and a Range in my break from VW but its the Golf that lights my fire. Its nice being back on a forum talking about them.
Now, about that Mk8 :huh:
2014 GTD DSG Carbon Grey (Stolen)
2018 GTI PP DSG Isaac Blue, Brescias (Sold)
2020 GTI TCR Pure Grey (Sold)
2018 GTD DSG Indium Grey (Current)

Ex: Clio Williams2, GTI MkIII, GTI MkIV, Audi TT, GTD MkV, A3 S-Line, GTD Mk6, GTD Mk7, Evoque, GTI PP, BMW 320 Touring

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 13 January 2021, 20:34 »
Good thread.

I'm enjoying checking in on here, Mk8 is growing (slowly) on me, apart from the Richmonds!  :grin:

I genuinely feel I could sway back to a Golf again next year but that would probably be if I finally opt-out of having a company car.

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey