Author Topic: Automatic boot opening/closing  (Read 6061 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: Automatic boot opening/closing
« Reply #10 on: 11 September 2019, 08:56 »
The people across the road from me were just unloading their Evoque boot and the auto open and close is pretty cool.
It probably won’t be long before VW offers the option on a Golf or Audi A3 now that it’s a £500 option on a 1 series. With the proliferation of SUV’s between the marques that have higher opening boots due to how tall they are the auto close will be a necessity on them.
If the parts are available they’ll filter down to the lower models then companies like Carsystems will offer retrofit kits that both open and close.
Not something I’d bother with unless it was standard fit but I can see it being very useful for many people.

I remember having an Insignia tourer hire car for a month or so and that had auto boot which you could put up and down from the key. Was very useful to be fair. Apart from when I opened it against a metal pole for a light in a carpark - it didn't stop!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 11 September 2019, 10:27 »
The people across the road from me were just unloading their Evoque boot and the auto open and close is pretty cool.
It probably won’t be long before VW offers the option on a Golf or Audi A3 now that it’s a £500 option on a 1 series. With the proliferation of SUV’s between the marques that have higher opening boots due to how tall they are the auto close will be a necessity on them.
If the parts are available they’ll filter down to the lower models then companies like Carsystems will offer retrofit kits that both open and close.
Not something I’d bother with unless it was standard fit but I can see it being very useful for many people.

I remember having an Insignia tourer hire car for a month or so and that had auto boot which you could put up and down from the key. Was very useful to be fair. Apart from when I opened it against a metal pole for a light in a carpark - it didn't stop!

That would be my fear with an auto-opening boot if it didn’t have some form of sensor to detect obstacles that might be in the way!
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 11 September 2019, 14:11 »
Think they would sense say a wall but as the pole was only just in the line higher up, it almost rubbed against rather than being directly stopped. Reckon most would stop in a lot of circumstances.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 11 September 2019, 17:00 »
I had this function on my previous 3 cars and I really miss it, it's very convenient when you have your hands full with a child and/shopping, but primarily in the winter months where you can open/close the boot of a filthy car without getting your hands dirty/wet.

All three cars (two Audis, and a Range Rover Sport) had a pressure sensor that would stop the boot opening if it felt pressure applied. So if I realised half way through the boot opening that it might hit something as it was opening I would pull gently on the lid and on the Audi's it would stop completely, and on the Range Rover it would stop & re-close itself.

SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 12 April 2022, 19:30 »
Thought I would update this post. Aliexpress sell this now made by canaan electronics,.ltd based in china. Fully remote using the oem remote  but not  cheap at £300. Anyone bought one? Useful to get some feedback.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline martin998877

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 12 April 2022, 20:12 »
Thought I would update this post. Aliexpress sell this now made by canaan electronics,.ltd based in china. Fully remote using the oem remote  but not  cheap at £300. Anyone bought one? Useful to get some feedback.

Could you post a link please?  Aliexpress sell so much it's hard to find anything.
Golf GTi Mark 7 owner

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 12 April 2022, 21:44 »
Sorry forgot the link which is: https://a.aliexpress.com/_dUK4RCb
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.