Author Topic: How to dismantle outer right rear brake light?  (Read 1024 times)

Offline DanielGolfGTI

• Just got here
Hi,

I'd be grateful if someone knows how to remove the lens cover from the casing on the rear right brake light (outer). Mine are the led lights, 2011 GTI. I have scoured YouTube and cannot find a video showing removal / DISASSEMBLY of the led's (have found pretty much every other kind typically) , despite these being the most common light type in GTI's.

I have removed the unit itself from the car, but as I need to get the bulb out, I can't undo the housing for the bulb. Therefore I removed all the torx screws to remove the lens but upon removing them, the casing and lens were still attached, just the bulb housing / something was flopping around inside.

It looks like water has been seeping in, which has dimmed the lens a bit, however the indicator is working still, although it's not as clear due to the darkness caused by the water.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Update - does anyone know where I can get the LED lights from? Other than Hella (which are ridiculously expensive) I am struggling to find any that the lens is not SMOKED which I think are described as cherry red.

Cheers
« Last Edit: 19 July 2020, 21:42 by DanielGolfGTI »