Author Topic: DCC system, is it a must have on the MK8?  (Read 14042 times)

Offline Powerman80

• Not said much yet
  • Auto professional & lover
Re: DCC system, is it a must have on the MK8?
« Reply #20 on: 16 January 2021, 20:54 »
Whether DCC is a must have on the Mk8 will be a matter of personal opinion.  Just as it was on the mk7/7.5.

But IMO, if you can afford DCC, don't hesitate. I cannot see a circumstance where you would regret it.  DCC gives the car so much more versatility.  Whether that's passenger preferences (as in my household) or road conditions.

... it is very much personal choice and circumstances. What cars have you driven before? What are the roads like? Is comfort a high priority? Will you fit 19 inch alloys?

I found the standard Mk7 suspension too firm, but the roads I drive on are terrible. I told my dealer if the car didn't have DCC he could keep it. Many people find the standard suspension GTI/GTD fine.

I suspect they might have improved the suspension from my test drive in the new A3 S line. Despite having sport suspension, I found the new A3 reasonably comfortable.

It is impossible to be sure without a test drive.

I'm coming from Mini Cooper &S, not fitting 19 inch (rather 18). I don't have family to carry around.

I will test a DCC car Wednesday, but that's the only GTI I could find for a test in my region... I'll try to see if I can squeeze it into the budget.

Marco
=============
Hello from Milan Italy

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #21 on: 17 January 2021, 08:21 »
I've had two mk7s, one estate with DCC (custom order GT trim with another £5-6k options) and a GTD without (dealer stock).
When I first test drove the GTD I thought that it's significantly worse, especially in the corners.

Went for DCC on my Leon ST FR again.

Wouldn't want a performance car without it; as much as you can call the 184hp diesel a performance vehicle.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline Powerman80

• Not said much yet
« Reply #22 on: 17 January 2021, 08:57 »
I've had two mk7s, one estate with DCC (custom order GT trim with another £5-6k options) and a GTD without (dealer stock).
When I first test drove the GTD I thought that it's significantly worse, especially in the corners.

Went for DCC on my Leon ST FR again.

Wouldn't want a performance car without it; as much as you can call the 184hp diesel a performance vehicle.

This is the kind of feedback I was looking for!  :nerd:
Marco
=============
Hello from Milan Italy

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #23 on: 17 January 2021, 10:10 »
I went the other way if you read my signature.

Only back with dcc on my mk8 because of nineteens and nobody knows how that rides yet without it.

Let's put it this way if you think the ride is neither hard enough or soft enough, dcc is the answer, pay your nine hundred quid.

Best bet is to test drive without and then decide for yourself though.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Crockers

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 17 January 2021, 10:37 »
Is there a great difference in price to the GTi with DCC and the Clubsport without ?? I really see the Clubsport as a sweet spot in the line up. IMHO of course

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #25 on: 17 January 2021, 10:39 »
Yes, the clubby is about three grand more than a gti dsg and dcc is nine hundred.

Bear in mind that the clubby suspension is harder than the gti.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 17 January 2021, 10:53 »
It's always an interesting discussion with a wide range of responses.
The question I would ask is " do I need a versatile car to be even more versatile". If you don't, then there is a risk you'll pay c£900 for an option you don't use.
For the mk7, the majority view was that DCC unnecessary on 18s, desirable on 19s.
I suspect discussion about the mk8 will follow similar lines.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 17 January 2021, 11:33 »
It was an easy decision for me, as none of the clubsports delivered to dealers had it. Only difference was colour

Offline Powerman80

• Not said much yet
« Reply #28 on: 17 January 2021, 11:50 »
It's always an interesting discussion with a wide range of responses.
The question I would ask is " do I need a versatile car to be even more versatile". If you don't, then there is a risk you'll pay c£900 for an option you don't use.
For the mk7, the majority view was that DCC unnecessary on 18s, desirable on 19s.
I suspect discussion about the mk8 will follow similar lines.

Yep I noticed it. With the Skoda, there was pretty much consensus on the standard suspension needing ACC

Let's see if the 900€ become something less at the dealer.
Marco
=============
Hello from Milan Italy

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 17 January 2021, 11:58 »
Welcome Marco from Milano!

You write better English than most of us.

I’m going to fly in the face of everyone else in the world, VW engineers included, and say no, you do not *need* DCC.

I’ve owned both an R56 Cooper D and an F56 Cooper SD so I know MINI suspension well enough.
I’ve also owned one or two (dozen) Golfs and only one of those had DCC and that was the suspension I liked the least since 2004.

I’m no expert and I’m certainly not an engineer, but I ran Golfs with upgraded suspension for 20 odd years therefore I do have my own opinions based on experience.

Every road test or press blurb I read at the car’s launch stated that the mk8 GTI had increased spring rates over the outgoing model.
It is the springs that dictate ride quality more than dampers when it comes to absorbing sudden changes in surface quality. A damper’s job is to try and control the spring’s oscillations so it’s very much a reactive thing. Add in the complexity of extra valving and all you get is extra delay.
A hard spring hitting a pothole is going to send a crash through the body-shell no matter how good your dampers are. And when you have a bad back that suddenly becomes the difference between living with a car or not being able to, never mind actually enjoying it. That impact is much worse when you have a comfort orientated damper setting but still have firm springs meaning there’s extra delay in the damper absorbing the impact harshness when hitting a pothole, ridge or expansion joint no matter how good the electronics are.

DCC to me would be perfect on a big SUV that has long spring travel, big walled tyres and decent bushing for a comfy ride.
A hot hatch has stiff(ish) springs, low profile tyres and firmer bushing. The hot hatch is about compromise and good reflexes, with a Golf GTI traditionally pushed towards a more comfort orientated set up (compared to many rivals) even without DCC.

Up until the mk5 GTI the standard GTI suspension was a bit rubbery (ok, the mk1 and mk2 weren’t too bad but would still cock a leg when cornering sharply or run a bit wide) but since then it’s been a very good compromise with its fully independent rear suspension.
Peugeot were once masters of GTI suspension and their answer was softer long travel springs and stiffer dampers able to cope with the cobbles of France. German suspension always seems to feature stiffer springs and the standard non-adjustable dampers have been developed to be a reasonable compromise.

Everyone else who is anybody as far as expert authority goes will disagree with me but that’s my uneducated take on it.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner