Author Topic: Fred's surprise Munich Trip... guess what...  (Read 13320 times)

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
Re: Fred's surprise Munich Trip... guess what...
« Reply #10 on: 15 January 2021, 10:11 »
Thanks Fred. I specc'd up a 128ti and thought this is too good to be true....and it is! A shame (for BMW) - better, bespoke seats and the option of adjustable suspension sounds like is all that is needed.

Yes, I did have an issue with noise in the Mk8 on my short test drive. I didn't expect S class levels but felt too much of a drone for me. A pity as that is pretty much all that is holding me back from ordering. Looks like I will have a bit of a wait for another test drive and then 20 weeks for it to arrive (if I order)  :undecided:. On the other hand, need to keep some perspective as to what is happening around the world at the mo.
« Last Edit: 15 January 2021, 10:14 by ar899 »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #11 on: 15 January 2021, 10:31 »
Thanks Fred. I specc'd up a 128ti and thought this is too good to be true....and it is! A shame (for BMW) - better, bespoke seats and the option of adjustable suspension sounds like is all that is needed.

Yes, I did have an issue with noise in the Mk8 on my short test drive. I didn't expect S class levels but felt too much of a drone for me. A pity as that is pretty much all that is holding me back from ordering. Looks like I will have a bit of a wait for another test drive and then 20 weeks for it to arrive (if I order)  :undecided:. On the other hand, need to keep some perspective as to what is happening around the world at the mo.

I think the problem BMW have is that the 1 series is the bottom of their range. Adding lots of other options starts to intrude on other things from a price positioning perspective.

VAG have a different perspective on model positioning.

Mk8 noise... yes I noticed it too but its there on the Mk7.5 too to some degree. I'd take the noise over the uncomfort of the BMW though every time.

Maybe you should look at a Merc A35? I've not driven one, but I suspect that might be worth a look.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 15 January 2021, 11:04 »
I know what you mean about the position of the 1 Series. Read an article once, the gist of which was that 'proper' BMW/Merc ownership doesn't start until the 3 Series/C Class and there is some truth in that.

I did look at the A Class - an A250 AMG line would do me performance wise. Just a pity you can't add a space saver (which is important to me but another topic on it's own..... :whistle:).

The search for the 'perfect' mile munching hatchback goes on but the Mk8 is the closest so far.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 15 January 2021, 11:28 »
I did look at the A Class - an A250 AMG line would do me performance wise. Just a pity you can't add a space saver (which is important to me but another topic on it's own..... :whistle:).

The search for the 'perfect' mile munching hatchback goes on but the Mk8 is the closest so far.

Buy a spacesaver, put it in a wheel bag and sling it in the boot?

Maybe consider a Focus or a Honda? Both are excellent by all accounts - not neccessarily the top performing spec for either....
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 15 January 2021, 11:52 »
I did think of a spacesaver in the boot. Takes up quite a bit of space though and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable driving around with one in the boot + jack et al.

Sat in a Civic a while ago. Looks/interior doesn't really float my boat.

Had a leased Fiesta ST Line for a while - cracking small car. There seems to be a gap in the Focus line up between 1.0 litre ST line and the ST. Haven't driven one though so can't really comment.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 15 January 2021, 12:02 »
I did think of a spacesaver in the boot. Takes up quite a bit of space though and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable driving around with one in the boot + jack et al.

Had a leased Fiesta ST Line for a while - cracking small car. There seems to be a gap in the Focus line up between 1.0 litre ST line and the ST. Haven't driven one though so can't really comment.

I think Merc make a packaged space saver that won't rattle around, complete with tools etc. Its a bit large of course, but that's why they don't design them in place any more. Not sure if a Mk8 has a space for one - I didn't look. Wouldn't be surprised if it didn't. The BMW didn't.

Fiesta I suspect would be too small and noisy for big mile munching. I'd be looking at the Focus - stands more chance of being acceptable transport for a road warrior. You need the size/weight really - I spent decades in Sierras, Vectras, Mondeos etc and there is a reason why that sized car was the pick for reps. I was surprised when the Mk7 seemed to be capable of it.

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 15 January 2021, 12:12 »

I think Merc make a packaged space saver that won't rattle around, complete with tools etc. Its a bit large of course, but that's why they don't design them in place any more. Not sure if a Mk8 has a space for one - I didn't look. Wouldn't be surprised if it didn't. The BMW didn't.

Fiesta I suspect would be too small and noisy for big mile munching. I'd be looking at the Focus - stands more chance of being acceptable transport for a road warrior. You need the size/weight really - I spent decades in Sierras, Vectras, Mondeos etc and there is a reason why that sized car was the pick for reps. I was surprised when the Mk7 seemed to be capable of it.

You can spec a spacesaver in the Mk8. Same for the A3. When we all drive milk floats, spacesavers will probably disappear altogether to accommodate batteries......

As you say, repmobile class cars are best for motorways. Recent Performance Golfs also seem to be acceptable - GTD reviews nearly always reference the 'long distance cruiser' element.

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 15 January 2021, 12:49 »
Interesting review.  One thing I would say is to check the tire pressure - BMW seem to set the recommended pressure quite high - I think its something like 2.7 bar at the front.  I've knocked this down to 2.5 and the ride is much more compliant.  But still firm vs the GTD for sure. 

I know where you're coming from re the seats and sitting 'on them' rather than in them.  That said its taken a while to find the perfect seating position but I've found by tilting the seat base a little they are very comfy (for me anyway).  The adjustable side bolsters on the seat back are great as well.  I also like the way the back of the seat curves up a little so your head is very close to the headrest.  I guess they could have done better with the seat base - but did a great job with the backrest. 

I'm pretty sure you can spec a spacesaver for the 1 series as well - could be wrong on that.
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #18 on: 15 January 2021, 13:01 »
My wife's BMW has the M Sport trim. So it has all leather M spec seats. I think the issue might be the lower (sportier?) driving position. Being used to the higher seats in the Golf - with the higher driving position - maybe it's just a case of an unfamiliar position i.e. sitting lower with straighter legs. After all I started sitting in Golf seats in 2007 :undecided:

To be fair I have not driven the car as much as you Fred. It may be some time before I'm allowed. :embarrassed: Last night we were playing with the auto boot opening. You are supposed to kick your foot under the boot in line with the BMW badge. It was not working for me and I got a bit frustrated and kicked the car. :embarrassed: Now I have to sit on the naughty step for a long time. :wink:

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 15 January 2021, 13:14 »
Interesting review.  One thing I would say is to check the tire pressure - BMW seem to set the recommended pressure quite high - I think its something like 2.7 bar at the front.  I've knocked this down to 2.5 and the ride is much more compliant.  But still firm vs the GTD for sure. 

I know where you're coming from re the seats and sitting 'on them' rather than in them.  That said its taken a while to find the perfect seating position but I've found by tilting the seat base a little they are very comfy (for me anyway).  The adjustable side bolsters on the seat back are great as well.  I also like the way the back of the seat curves up a little so your head is very close to the headrest.  I guess they could have done better with the seat base - but did a great job with the backrest. 

I'm pretty sure you can spec a spacesaver for the 1 series as well - could be wrong on that.

I looked at the TPMS.... was 2.2 on the rears and 2.9/2.8 on the front.... wasn't my car so wasn't about to start letting air out.

The seat I spent about an hour messing around with. I opened up on the online manual (really nice feature I didn't mention yestrerday but I thought it was brilliant) and adjusted every aspect of the seat. Nothing doing.

Did spot a weird thing though, the passenger seat is different to the drivers seat.... I could make the passenger seat comfortable.... bit far to reach the pedals though.

I'm sure its just me, but it did really remind me of the F56 or R58 we have on the drive (amongst others!) - I can drive them, but not far without back and hip pain. I try not to use them if I can.