Author Topic: Isn’t it interesting.....  (Read 2885 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Isn’t it interesting.....
« Reply #20 on: 14 January 2021, 20:56 »
After around seven years of owning a mk7 (or two) I still find myself just staring and taking in the styling whenever I see one. The balance of everything is just so right.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 14 January 2021, 21:22 »
After around seven years of owning a mk7 (or two) I still find myself just staring and taking in the styling whenever I see one. The balance of everything is just so right.

Surely you aren't thinking of changing again after only 10 miles? And I do call you Surely... :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 15 January 2021, 15:23 »

:laugh:

No, just from a perspective of seeing a mk7(.5) GTI, GTD, R and admiring the lines and how it sits on the road, the same as if I saw a tidy mk5 GTI or mk2 big bumper or a Campaign mk1. Classic Golfs that just look *right*
It’s a very personal thing too as there actually are very very few cars that have that effect on me and it’s far from a case of rose tinted specs.
I quite like cars that have the proportions of a roller-skate (205 GTI 1.9 a perfect example of that) or BMX bike (maybe that’s why I like Reifnitz alloys as they remind me of Skyway Tuffs from my youth), compact but chunky and slightly squared off.
Back in 1983, before all my hopes and dreams were dashed by adulthood, a neighbour traded his immaculate and incredibly handsome mk1 Fiesta XR2 for a Golf GTI Campaign. That latter car fired up my teenage interest in cars and I never tired of looking at it.
Same for another neighbour many years later who had a MINI Cooper 2012 London Olympics special edition (R56) which came with the 17” Conical wheels. Aside from the questionable graphics that was an almost perfectly proportioned car to my eyes and I’d admire the lines every day.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 15 January 2021, 15:42 »
[quote author=Exonian link=topic=287227.msg2631222#msg2631222
No, just from a perspective of seeing a mk7(.5) GTI, GTD, R and admiring the lines and how it sits on the road, the same as if I saw a tidy mk5 GTI or mk2 big bumper or a Campaign mk1. Classic Golfs that just look *right*
It’s a very personal thing too as there actually are very very few cars that have that effect on me and it’s far from a case of rose tinted specs.
I quite like cars that have the proportions of a roller-skate (205 GTI 1.9 a perfect example of that) or BMX bike (maybe that’s why I like Reifnitz alloys as they remind me of Skyway Tuffs from my youth), compact but chunky and slightly squared off.
Back in 1983, before all my hopes and dreams were dashed by adulthood, a neighbour traded his immaculate and incredibly handsome mk1 Fiesta XR2 for a Golf GTI Campaign. That latter car fired up my teenage interest in cars and I never tired of looking at it.
Same for another neighbour many years later who had a MINI Cooper 2012 London Olympics special edition (R56) which came with the 17” Conical wheels. Aside from the questionable graphics that was an almost perfectly proportioned car to my eyes and I’d admire the lines every day.
[/quote]

Ah, I put your reply to jv and the MK7 one together and came up with 5! I thought it extremely unlikely but...... :grin:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 15 January 2021, 16:10 »
Alas I was just seeing how far Mr V could roll his eyeballs in their sockets  :grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #25 on: 15 January 2021, 16:58 »
I think the test of a classic auto design is perhaps how a car looks in its basic forms.
The Mk7 looked good even at entry level versions.
Applying the same test to the basic Mk8 tells me it is not the equal of the Mk7.
Yes, applying the performance enhancements make the Mk8 look pretty good. But  I suspect if you looked at the “in the clay” design models, the Mk7 takes the prize.

2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 15 January 2021, 20:39 »
I think the test of a classic auto design is perhaps how a car looks in its basic forms.
The Mk7 looked good even at entry level versions.
Applying the same test to the basic Mk8 tells me it is not the equal of the Mk7.
Yes, applying the performance enhancements make the Mk8 look pretty good. But  I suspect if you looked at the “in the clay” design models, the Mk7 takes the prize.

^^^
to which I'd add " does it still look fresh 10 years down the line"
If you look at a lower model mk7 it's a damn good looking car.
I don;t think the mk8 is too far behind. It's still a good looking car.
What would people say about you if your older brother looked like brad Pitt? :grin:

@exonian. Yes, the 205 is a design classic. Still looks a great shape today. It's also a classic "package"- spacious inside, small outside, wheel at each corner, proper boot. They don't make 'em like that any more!
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.