Poll

What do we all think of the standard Richmond alloys for the Mk8 GTi

Really like them. Don't understand the hate.
5 (11.6%)
They're ok. I can live with them no problem.
10 (23.3%)
Not keen, but I wouldn't pay to change for something else.
6 (14%)
Hate them, would definitely pay to upgrade or swap for aftermarket wheels.
19 (44.2%)
They look ok, but I'd probably choose something else anyway.
3 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Voting closed: 10 July 2021, 22:56

Author Topic: Mk8 GTi standard alloy wheels. Love 'em or hate 'em?  (Read 3710 times)

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Someone on another thread mentioned a poll on the Richmond alloys. Thought I'd jump in.
7.5 GTD

Offline Dave1rs

• GTI forum regular
Re: Mk8 GTi standard alloy wheels. Love 'em or hate 'em?
« Reply #1 on: 11 January 2021, 22:06 »
Not a huge fan,but have now decided to live with them.

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 12 January 2021, 09:39 »
Got my GTI with Richmonds on arriving next month, I can’t see them when I’m driving so I used the upgrade money on DCC which I will notice.

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2021, 09:59 »
Is the 'hate' for the wheel based on;

1. The design of the wheel itself
2. The size of the wheel ie doesn't fill the wheel arch as best it could, or
3. The position of the wheel ie doesn't quite sit far enough out relative to the wheel arch

or combination of the above?

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2021, 10:26 »
Is the 'hate' for the wheel based on;

1. The design of the wheel itself
2. The size of the wheel ie doesn't fill the wheel arch as best it could, or
3. The position of the wheel ie doesn't quite sit far enough out relative to the wheel arch

or combination of the above?

For me, it’d be the design and the fact they’re diamond cut.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #5 on: 12 January 2021, 10:31 »
For me its the wheel design (for the record, I hated the parkers and the whatever they were on the Mk5 too). They do follow a common look over the years and I've hated them all.

I'd sooner have 18's for fuel reduction, tyre economy and ride.

I don't care about "filling the arches". I spend no time in McDonalds car parks.

And yes, diamond cut has been a problem on or after 3 years on both of my Mk7.x's. It is a liability and VW should be utterly aware of this. They don't make body panels that rust after 3 years, why make wheels that fall apart after 3?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 12 January 2021, 10:46 »
Horrible, just like the standard MK7's where

MK7 GTi

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 12 January 2021, 11:01 »
And yes, diamond cut has been a problem on or after 3 years on both of my Mk7.x's. It is a liability and VW should be utterly aware of this. They don't make body panels that rust after 3 years, why make wheels that fall apart after 3?

It's not just diamond cut wheels that have this problem. My Mk5 had plain silver wheels, 3 of which got replaced under warranty for peeling lacquer just before the 3 year point. The fourth wheel also started to peel not long after the warranty expired.

My Mk7.5 has just turned 3, and so far the diamond cut finish is holding up pretty well. 🤷‍♂️
7.5 GTD

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 12 January 2021, 11:46 »

It's not just diamond cut wheels that have this problem. My Mk5 had plain silver wheels, 3 of which got replaced under warranty for peeling lacquer just before the 3 year point. The fourth wheel also started to peel not long after the warranty expired.

My Mk7.5 has just turned 3, and so far the diamond cut finish is holding up pretty well. 🤷‍♂️

I’ve never had an issue with painted / powder coated alloys, and all but one of the cars I’ve owned since 1982 have had alloy wheels. The only alloys I’ve had an issue with have been diamond cut.

The finish on diamond cut alloys - a ‘protective’ coat of lacquer applied to a bare, machined / polished surface - doesn’t result in a particularly durable finish, as the bare metal surface doesn’t provide a good ‘key’ for the lacquer to bond to. Additionally, the thickness of the lacquer may be less on the edges of the spokes and other parts of the wheel where there are ‘sharp’ edges and changes in the angle of the metal face on the wheel, so potentially more limited protection in these areas. A small stone chip left unrepaired on the edge of a spoke, and water can get under the lacquer and you’ve got the ideal conditions for the start of white worm corrosion.

As Fred has said, there can be issues with white worm corrosion at around three years, and based on many owners experiences on various forums I visit, it’s pretty commonplace. I’ve read of very few instances of corrosion issues on painted / powder coated alloys. There’s a good reason why many reputable alloy wheel refurbishing companies provide a more limited warranty on diamond cut wheel refurbishments than the warranty they give do on painted / powder coated wheels. It’s also not unusual for aftermarket alloy wheel retailers to not recommend diamond cut alloys for winter use.

I had two diamond wheels succumb to white worm corrosion when they were at 2.5 years old. I’m pretty OCD about my car, and the wheels were cleaned every 7-10 days, protected with wax and / or sealant every three months, and any stone chips repaired pretty much as soon as they occurred. In spite of this, two wheels suffered from white worm.

Given the choice, I’d go for alloy wheels with a painted / powder coated finish every time.

Apologies if I’ve taken this thread off topic, but the diamond cut finish on the standard 18” GTi alloys is one of the reasons for hating / disliking those wheels - or any diamond cut wheels for that matter - so IMO the above is relevant.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 12 January 2021, 12:18 »
For me, the standard wheels on the MK5 GTI all those years ago were lovely. Iconic almost. And in every iteration/facelift since, they've gradually ruined them.

MK6 GTI - wheel design was the same but instead of the nice gun metal grey inserts, they were gloss black (not as nice imo)

MK7 GTI - instead of the nice curved (almost telephone dial) spokes, we got the straight lines "swastika" look... which are also directional so they look backwards on one side of the car! Still, they weren't too bad, definitely not ugly but not as pretty as the MK5 iteration imo.

Mk7.5 GTI - this is where it really started to go wrong. Those parkers meant the 19" upgrade became almost essential. A needless "For the sake of it" evolution of the MK7 swastika look.

MK8 GTI - very similar to the previous Parkers but somehow seem even uglier? They look undersized under those arches, too tucked in, spokes are much too large, giving them an "E-Car" appearance. Absolutely awful imo. So much so, I consider the car wheel-less from the factory, i.e. the wheel upgrade is as essential as fuel in the tank.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.