Author Topic: Key security  (Read 7201 times)

Offline McCrae1971

• Not said much yet
Re: Key security
« Reply #10 on: 09 January 2021, 17:33 »
Doesn’t shut down if no motion or lying flat which I believe Ford have . There is an option to turn the keyless entry off. Although I’d still keep the keys in a faraday pouch regardless.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #11 on: 09 January 2021, 19:19 »
Oh... That's not good. Have you tried testing that out? Put the key down close to the car for ten minutes then try just opening the car without picking it up?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 09 January 2021, 20:25 »
I seem to remember reading somewhere that Skoda now have the sleeping key feature, so a bit surprising that VW don't.
7.5 GTD

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 09 January 2021, 20:55 »
I seem to remember reading somewhere that Skoda now have the sleeping key feature, so a bit surprising that VW don't.

But the new Skoda Octavia also has two gas bonnet struts whereas the mk8 Golf doesn’t have any and has to make do with a manual bonnet prop. Maybe Skoda has moved ahead of VW within the VAG hierarchy for certain items of tech and equipment........ :whistle:
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 09 January 2021, 21:39 »

But the new Skoda Octavia also has two gas bonnet struts whereas the mk8 Golf doesn’t have any and has to make do with a manual bonnet prop. Maybe Skoda has moved ahead of VW within the VAG hierarchy for certain items of tech and equipment........ :whistle:

That's true I suppose. However on closer inspection it seems that the Octavia KESSY can be permanently disabled via the infotainment so it seems the Octavia doesn't have a sleeping key either  :sad:
7.5 GTD

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 19 February 2021, 22:00 »
I'm sure there are quite a few people who use a Faraday pouch, so would any of you mind sharing which ones you've got, please?  I have been looking at lots but they all seem to be way too big for my liking.  I basically want one that is just the right size for a fob to snugly fit into.

I did find this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMCqAx_Pf4Y

...but the website is out of stock.  Shame, as it seems perfect for me, if a little on the pricy side.
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 19 February 2021, 22:04 »
If you have a mk8, just disable it. It's going to be the first thing i do when mine arrives.

Far too dicey to leave it enabled. Pouch or no pouch.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 19 February 2021, 22:16 »
I am still debating that, Fred, although I would still like a pouch like the one I posted just to keep the fob in when it's in my pocket.

Also, does disabling keyless entry in the car settings also completely stop the fob from emitting a signal?
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 19 February 2021, 22:22 »
It stops the car listening for it.

Boost the key signal as much as you want bad guys, my car ain't listening!

Seriously, it's a massive risk and the most common way modern cars are stolen.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 20 February 2021, 10:37 »
I am still debating that, Fred, although I would still like a pouch like the one I posted just to keep the fob in when it's in my pocket.

Also, does disabling keyless entry in the car settings also completely stop the fob from emitting a signal?
you don't need to spend a load of money on a pouch. eBay and Amazon ones for a few quid will suffice.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.