Author Topic: What wheels ?  (Read 5515 times)

Offline Sean G

• GTI forum regular
Re: What wheels ?
« Reply #10 on: 07 January 2021, 20:16 »
Could well be genuine 18” Pretoria option alloys fitted to it

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 07 January 2021, 20:46 »
Yes I was about to ask why the hell a dealer demo car had non oem wheels. Really strange.

Do you think they will tell the buyer about declaring those to their insurance company?

I very much doubt they’d tell the buyer. The dealer’s primary concern will be getting the car sold. I wonder what they did with the original factory wheels?

Also seem to remember seeing on the forum very recently a grey (Moonstone Grey?) mk8 GTI Clubsport with 19” Brescia alloys. Think it was posted by Evo1986 and the car was at Cheltenham VW. There was another at Wrexham VW - link to video was posted by @Guzzle in another thread.

IMO the mk8 Clubsport does look better with either Pretoria’s or Brescia’s than it does with the standard 18” Richmond alloys or 19” Adelaide’s.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 07 January 2021, 20:51 »
I wouldn’t declare it. The car has been sold to you by a franchised VW dealer. I don’t think an insurance company would get away with being able to argue it’s been modified.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 07 January 2021, 21:10 »
I’ve just insured my clubsport. I had a few issues getting a quote. As it’s a new model, quite a few insurers don’t yet have it on the system. I picked it up using the VW 5 day drive away policy. I got a quote from them, and it was better than any quote I’d managed to get online by quite some margin. I also enquired about changing the wheels to 19s, and they had no problem, and no extra charge

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #14 on: 07 January 2021, 21:21 »
I wouldn’t declare it. The car has been sold to you by a franchised VW dealer. I don’t think an insurance company would get away with being able to argue it’s been modified.

I once bought a second hand Ford, from a main dealer. The car had several things added by the previous owner that were not standard on that model, they came from higher trim levels. I wrote the car off and when debating the value with the insurance company it became clear that there were modifications but how was i supposed to know that? Anyway, i paid for a better car than the payout from the insurance. Guess I was lucky not to get the policy cancelled.

Hence me being a little concerned about someone putting another naive person in that mess.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 07 January 2021, 21:34 »
I've always been very meticulous about my insurance. In this instance I don't see how they could possibly be able to cancel the policy.
I suppose if this mk8 was stolen, the claims assessor could argue that the car was made massively more desirable by changing those terrible standard wheels :grin:

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #16 on: 07 January 2021, 21:40 »
Conversely, should be safe from theft with the standard eighteens. You could leave it unlocked in a car park and expect it still to be there when you come back  :laugh: :laugh:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 07 January 2021, 21:43 »
 :grin: :grin:

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 07 January 2021, 21:58 »
Lots of different wheel options in the VW accessories catalogue

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners-and-drivers/accessories-and-merchandise/accessories
7.5 GTD

Offline MEZZA

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 07 January 2021, 22:45 »
That’s a very nice looking car. Like a more modern mk7.
Agree with that and thanks for the info Clarky92 - the black body colour helps to disguise that very large lower grille imo and together with the wheels makes the car look a bit more "macho"