Author Topic: Gti Reviews  (Read 49668 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Gti Reviews
« Reply #250 on: 16 January 2021, 11:12 »
Thanks.

That's quite a fair and balanced review.

I always quite liked Rory on top gear.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #251 on: 16 January 2021, 11:17 »
When I saw the A35 in there I thought oh here we go! But tbh it was a good review and pretty fair. Different hatched suit different situations. Still not sure how the A35 is in the same price bracket though.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #252 on: 16 January 2021, 12:06 »
Well Rory seemed to like the Bridgestone's didn't he? If they're the GTi specific model, they're S005's aren't they, rather than the S001's fitted to Mk7's?
7.5 GTD

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #253 on: 16 January 2021, 12:17 »
I've come to the conclusion that the S001s are probably great tyres for track work.  But IMO for average street driving, esp in colder conditions, they're not.  Every review I've seen where the S001s were praised was on track.

But if S005s, I would expect they're much better than S001s.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #254 on: 16 January 2021, 13:31 »
The interesting thing in this review was that he wasn’t particularly enthusiastic about the i30n. In the last round of reviews it was usually picked ahead of the mk7 as a more entertaining golf gti rival.
It was wet, and perhaps on the wrong tyres- but his main criticism was the firm ride.
I’ll be interested to see how other reviews compare the two cars
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Maximusbiggus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #255 on: 16 January 2021, 15:06 »
I enjoyed that review. I can't wait till someone throws a Clubsport into the mix though. Will it still fall into the £33k or under category?

It's funny how every review sets the GTI as the control. It's always "the one" to beat! I'm late to the game when it comes to GTI's but I've always admired them and now having owned my mk7.5 for around a year now I get it. They are just cracking cars in pretty much every way.

When I was younger I didn't get the GTI. A friend of mine had a MK4 180hp and I had my modified Impreza at around 400hp. I didn't understand why you would purchase a 180hp car when you could have the Impreza or Mitsubishi Evo etc. But since the Mk5 came out and they upped it to 200hp it began to interest me. It was a much better looking car too. Over time I began to appreciate the balance of comfort to performance.

I love my current GTI even though it's not the performance model. It's 230hp with DSG and is a dream to drive. I think the ride on standard suspension with 18" wheels is very nice. My other half has a 2006 polo which we picked up for a steal because the previous owner went full boy racer on it and changed wheels, lowered suspension, fitted coil overs and tinted the windows etc. It went cheap because nobody else would buy it!!  It was perfect for her first car and to get a years no claims bonus under her belt. We'll change it soon. My point being though that the suspension could break your back. The GTI is like riding on a cloud in comparison! Maybe on 19's the GTI's are harsh but if anyone criticises the GTI ride they can take a spin in this Polo and you'll be thankful for your cushy GTI suspension!!

The main reason I'm changing into the Clubsport now is that the PCP repayments won't be too much more than my personal loan which is a slightly higher interest rate. 1.9% PCP Vs 4.95% car loan and the dealer is offering me a fair trade price although hopefully I get a small bit more with a private sale before the new motor arrives.
Mk7.5 GTI DSG Tungsten Silver

Offline Powerman80

• Not said much yet
  • Auto professional & lover
« Reply #256 on: 18 January 2021, 09:39 »
The interesting thing in this review was that he wasn’t particularly enthusiastic about the i30n. In the last round of reviews it was usually picked ahead of the mk7 as a more entertaining golf gti rival.
It was wet, and perhaps on the wrong tyres- but his main criticism was the firm ride.

Take a look at how much the camera is shaking during the lap of the i30N. And it's probably a stabilized camera. It's a hard, hard ride.
Marco
=============
Hello from Milan Italy

Offline Wrex22

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #257 on: 18 January 2021, 09:41 »
Can the light strip along the grill be switched off ?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #258 on: 18 January 2021, 09:59 »
Can the light strip along the grill be switched off ?

Yes I believe so.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #259 on: 18 January 2021, 18:11 »

Take a look at how much the camera is shaking during the lap of the i30N. And it's probably a stabilized camera. It's a hard, hard ride.

It would be a poor car to negotiate the cobbles and tram lines of central milan! Actually, thinking about it, that’s somewhere you probably could appreciate DCC!
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.