Author Topic: Well I'm calling this extreme GTI 16V makeover LOL!  (Read 97298 times)

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: Well I'm calling this extreme GTI 16V makeover LOL!
« Reply #210 on: 09 May 2012, 19:44 »
o pm me ur number and ill txt u prices tomorow buddy

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #211 on: 12 May 2012, 10:51 »
Not much progress just ground off the rust and zinc primered then engine enamel the sub Axels trail fitted the componets and seems all okay.
Picking up my caliper seal kit on Monday all good to go!

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #212 on: 14 May 2012, 14:52 »
Seal kit arrived took sometime getting the condom over the elephant but its on  :grin:
Top tip always use brake fluid on the new seals before you stick them back in and part slid the boot on the piston before you screw it back in to the caliper.
Waiting for more parts and some wheels and I shall be closer to the goal  :smiley:

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #213 on: 14 May 2012, 18:41 »
Wheeey gd job jay. How long till finish?

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #214 on: 14 May 2012, 18:52 »
christmas at this rate  :rolleyes:

2013  :shocked:

:kiss:

:tongue:

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #215 on: 14 May 2012, 19:01 »
Not sure the weather is being an arse and can't bleed the system in the wet  :sad:
Think my mate is lending me some RA's for MOT, not sure yet I said I leave his on bricks  :grin:
I was expecting the calipers to be seized, but funny enough all four pistons were okay except for rust and torn dust boots! I'll bleed the system properly enough times. But the pedal still goes right to the floor (with old brakes) so I've accepted the fact the Master cylinder is finished and bought a brand new one, wasn't cheap so I'm waiting for a hot day re bleed with new brakes see if it makes any difference, if not I'll use the brand new MC!
Then a day to rebuild the boot.
Done I think?
The car has no fuel bone empty and started it about month ago and all was fine.  
For MOT leaving the mouldy seats in and wheel arch off.
Oh yeah the car's steering wheel was locked when I did the tie rod ends so need to take off steering wheel just to get centred again  :laugh:
Reckon setting ride height will be a pain, but need bloody wheels to do it  :grin:  
A bit worried about the rear coillies there not much ring wound down on it and it sits low already!
I think the whole car's stance will squat TBH.  :undecided:  

IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL COME

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #216 on: 17 May 2012, 08:16 »
I'm tempted to lower the rear axel I've wanted to refurb the whole rear beam, but this is a good as time as any considering all the rear brake system is off the car.
If I decide to do it it will mean another month on and off before anything else gets done!
On a good note went out with my freshly printed notes and picked up some Mintex discs and pads!
Primered them and painted it all up ready still have to bang on the racers into the hub but should be all good!

If you want to change the bearings this is what you do!
First need hammer
29mm socket and something bigger I used a cutting ring dics thingy.
Some brake cleaner.
Ensure to clean all surfaces before starting!
Lithium Grease
Remember the race that surrounds the bearing needs to go in the right direction the surface with part numbers with a little taper goes in down the flatest surface should be outside facing up.

Outer race to go in first line it up use the socket to get decent cover over the parimeter of the race.
Start tapping it firmly until you feel it move check if its going in straight, if its not use the hammer to tap it right again.

There is a lip in the hub you know when you have reached it as the hammer tone will change to a firmer dead sound plus you can see the two parts meet!

Trial fit the new bearing to see if its level should look like this tapper end first!

Take the bearing out again once its a snug fit as you will have to grease the hub and bearings before you stick it on the Sub Axel. So turn it over and do the inner race exactly the same method try and find something big enough and metal to tap it in there!

In this picture you can see its not touching the inner lip (GAP) so not yet flush more hammer time!

Perfect matching!

Trial fit the bearing to see if tapper is level?

You can't have too much grease make sure the bearing themselves are rolled a few times in grease before putting them on the hub!

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #217 on: 21 May 2012, 15:23 »
Managed to bolt up all the front brakes but a good friend lent me his alloys to see if they suited the car if they did I would buy them and get them refurbed what do people think Porsche cups in four stud  :laugh:
not dropped them down yet as I'm having issues with the rear coiliies and the rings looks like strut off and un seize them before I bleed the bleedin brakes!
Got the new MC on stand by if they wont bleed up right! 
I did notice only one slider pin was stiffer than the lower one but nothing really serious except I'll keep an eye for even brake pad wear.

15"s

Offline GrandMstRamRod

• I live here
« Reply #218 on: 21 May 2012, 18:22 »
a lot of decent hard work going into this dude, keep it up :)

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #219 on: 21 May 2012, 18:57 »
i would run them as they are jay, look tidy enough just to be sure you like them 

are they RH cups ?