Author Topic: Well I'm calling this extreme GTI 16V makeover LOL!  (Read 97303 times)

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
Re: Well I'm calling this extreme GTI 16V makeover LOL!
« Reply #190 on: 26 April 2012, 22:40 »
Its a non ferrous metal in solution which wont corrode to, or allow ferrous metal to corrode or stick to under heat.
Lithium grease is more of a soap with a low melting point, both fine for stopping bolts from sticking :smiley:

True copper just oxidises never rusts!
TBF lithium grease is cheaper plus (quality stuff burns off at 130C  :wink:) than copper slip and I have such a big tub of it I've got many uses  :grin:
Like I've said I only use copper on moving parts static bolts can swim in Lithium and be fine!

Chuff its true noone has actually seen the whole car have they?  :grin: Just bad bits, rusty bits, and new bits I think the bumper was the the first thing I took off once it came home!
I do own one, promise its big aswell  :cool:

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #191 on: 28 April 2012, 16:26 »
Well with the rain its hard to push on, but did some touching ups on the ARB drop links ordered new rubbers from VAG and set to work cleaning them up. I could have saved monies buying Febi ones, but I'm not a fan there is a clear quality difference on them rubbers.
Dremeled off any rust coated in rust killer and zinc primered and then some tough matt black paint!

Started to use Easy Coat the bolts and nuts its good stuff just coats them in a blue protective anti corrosion film.

I've used clear waxoil on the new wishbones and they should last beyond the years of the car itself! 
Top mounts are on and I used a spring compressor  :grin:
Made a tool to remove the stupid slotted nuts!

My old 16V calipers were fine in the end the pistons are clean and thinking the MC's seals have been shot even though its quite clean and new!
You can never tell with internal seals  :lipsrsealed:

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #192 on: 28 April 2012, 16:28 »
good progress Jay, and well done on the spring compressor usage :afro:

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #193 on: 28 April 2012, 16:31 »
Cheers mate it was foot pedal one and you could change the plates out and was strapped in with a chain, quite niffty I would want one then I got told how much it was  :grin:

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #194 on: 28 April 2012, 16:35 »
jesus, that would be more than the car then  :laugh:

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #195 on: 28 April 2012, 16:43 »
jesus, that would be more than the car then  :laugh:

LOL  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Tell you what left hand side track rod end was stuck on fast and the ball joint splitter made it go bang, never get used to that point of winding the thread till it cracks  :grin:

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #196 on: 28 April 2012, 18:39 »
Good thinking saving the original droplinks. I replaced mine with febi ones, and as you said, there was a clear quality difference. Pukka Pies, don't compromise.  :lipsrsealed: Hungry then!  :grin:
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #197 on: 28 April 2012, 20:40 »
Good thinking saving the original droplinks. I replaced mine with febi ones, and as you said, there was a clear quality difference. Pukka Pies, don't compromise.  :lipsrsealed: Hungry then!  :grin:
I love them so much......nom nom nom!
What got me at VAG the tie rod end boots are £20.00 plus VAT each?? :shocked:
Can you justify that or aftermarket ones which are £8.00 for the pair?
You can clearly see if I change them out every two years
(£8.00x5pairs =£40) (2yrs X 5pairs) = 10 years supply of boots???
Lemfoder, ATE, lucus, Pagid are about the only aftermarket people I trust these days!
Everyone goes on about Febi, but they are sh*t! 

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #198 on: 28 April 2012, 20:49 »
Yeah they wanted about £58 iirc for the set at the stealer.  :shocked:

The genuine ones were slightly offset, whereas the febi ones were straight. Welds were pretty pants too. Unfortunately, The MOT was due a few days later so didn't have time (or money tbh) to source any different.
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #199 on: 28 April 2012, 20:53 »
Yeah they wanted about £58 iirc for the set at the stealer.  :shocked:

The genuine ones were slightly offset, whereas the febi ones were straight. Welds were pretty pants too. Unfortunately, The MOT was due a few days later so didn't have time (or money tbh) to source any different.
I paid £8 on trade just for one G60 caliper dust cap sits on the piston  :lipsrsealed: