Author Topic: Well I'm calling this extreme GTI 16V makeover LOL!  (Read 98797 times)

Offline Podge92

• GTI forum regular
Re: Well I'm calling this extreme GTI 16V makeover LOL!
« Reply #160 on: 12 March 2012, 13:13 »
looking good :) fair amount of work there.

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #161 on: 12 March 2012, 14:30 »
Cheers turned to project slow but hey ho once its up and got MOT should be golden!

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #162 on: 07 April 2012, 13:16 »
Well I've done a bit in the garage I was getting fed up with the method of screwing the brake hose direct into the caliper so I've done a mod on the thiner higher pressure pipe that loops around into the hose and caliper bracket.
The pipe that noone can be bothered to make is a simple flared union type I've got the tools so set out to make this OEM as possible. I still need to get some brake hoses to make sure of clearance but I'm sure it will reach okay with stock Mk2 hoses.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #163 on: 08 April 2012, 11:17 »
That  looks pro jay. Does this mean ur movin forward with your build?

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #164 on: 08 April 2012, 11:22 »
Thanks Liam! Yeah kinda of I saved up a few grand to get it all done in one, paint everything!
But the house doctor gave me an Enema of the worst kind so most of my saved pennys have now gone, but it just means I'll use what I have and make do.
The suspension will come off/clean for inspection next.
Need dics, pads, brake hoses, thats it sorted for MOT.
I'm thinking what ride would I get if I stuck stock Rallye front suspension and leave the coilovers on the back sitting low  :laugh:

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #165 on: 08 April 2012, 11:29 »
Not a gd one i shouldnt think buddy. I broughta 8v with 40mm lowering srings on front and coillies wound down on the back.  It was horrible to drive. But was also rotton. Gd to see ur off for mot soon. Will u take it to some shows?

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #166 on: 08 April 2012, 11:41 »
Not a gd one i shouldnt think buddy. I broughta 8v with 40mm lowering srings on front and coillies wound down on the back.  It was horrible to drive. But was also rotton. Gd to see ur off for mot soon. Will u take it to some shows?

The coilvers should be okay was in two minds about sticking to OEM shame the Rallye rears are shorter to than the 16vers. The front will fit fine though! Not sure how much rears go for these days?
I think the 16v calipers had rusted and siezed thinking it was giving me the spongy feel to the pedal it was bleed right but not happy. Hoping everything will be right once the new G60 are on, but being left for ages with stale fuel and not running for half a year is a bit worrying! Most of that nice work done looks a tad dusty again!
I'll try and make the Henley show this year, but we will see! Dam paint still needs sorted  :cry:   

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #167 on: 08 April 2012, 11:45 »
Its only a quick tidy up. paint doesnt look tobad to be honest

Offline Mr Blue

• Forum addict
« Reply #168 on: 08 April 2012, 14:18 »
Good work Jay. I didn't get on well with that brake pipe flare tool. The thinks just snapped all the time!
:)

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #169 on: 08 April 2012, 15:04 »
I split one on first attempt  :lipsrsealed: I'm used to flaring copper this steel is harder so had to give it less slower force, but the problem is when you hold the pipe make sure its straight as they come rolled up anyways. If its right as an arrow the flare tool should not go off at the dodgy angle splitting the pipe. Its practice and knowing when to stop the winding  :grin:

Just realised the MK2 16Ver later models have bloody short brake hoses!
Been trying to remove the brake system and coilovers but lost my bendy spanner so same old issue of hex key and spanner jobbie. TBH the coilovers had loads of play so who ever done these up gave up 3/4 way through weight of hub and tyres was only thing keeping it there  :lipsrsealed: