Author Topic: Guess the problem  (Read 2036 times)

Offline soulman_uk

• GTI forum regular
Guess the problem
« on: 11 April 2006, 16:49 »
ok for a few weeks now I've heard this odd noise like a whine kinda like sqeaky break pads but only occurs when I turn the steering wheel to the right as odd as it might sound as soon as I straighten up god auwful squeal goes.

Check the PAS fluid seems fine.

mk4 golf 2001.

What do you reckon it might be ?

Offline Mantamad

• GTI forum regular
Re: Guess the problem
« Reply #1 on: 11 April 2006, 17:28 »
Just a thought - is your PAS drive belt tension set correctly?
Black 2002 GT TDi 130

Offline soulman_uk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 11 April 2006, 18:18 »
Hi, Mantamad

I'm a little mechanically limited. I have a basica toolkit. In simple steps how do I go about checking this ?

also forgot to mention it sounds like the noise is coming form the read driver side back wheel area.

But I first noticed the problem after I topped up the PAS fluid before that no problems.

Offline GolfGL

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 11 April 2006, 21:12 »
All the belts on the left side of the engine should be quite tight about 10mm of movement up and down no more. If they are too tight can also cause squeling. Could also check the CV boot is all intact as otherwise the cv joint could be dried up, also track rods or even a loose hub. If your sure it is the rear have you checked all the wheel nuts are tightened up. Or could jack up the car and give the wheel a spin and lever from the sides. Should be squel free and tight if not a bearing or joint might be worn.
Audi TT 3.2 24v v6 2005 - The Sloth - Weekends
VW Golf 2.0 8v GTI 1996 - Lemonade II -Daily
MNR Vortx Yamaha R1 2009 - Track days
Sold Seat Leon Cupra R 225 -LM04 NDE "Lemonade"

Offline soulman_uk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 11 April 2006, 21:40 »
Appreciate the help here. Cant afford to go to a garage to check it out.

Gives me a chance to learn a bit more anout the car.

Ok i've checked the drivebelt doesn't feel worn or slack.

I dont know what a CV joint is ? where do I find it and how do I check its ok ?

Jacked the car up and checked every wheel bolt and wheel for movement they seen all fine.

Also something maybe worth mentioniong the noise does kick in untill i've been driving for 45 mins or so then everytime I turn right there it is.   :undecided:

pretty much been been working under a street light and lid light so will carry on first thing in the morning.

thanks again helping with this.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 11 April 2006, 21:42 by soulman_uk »

Offline GolfGL

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 11 April 2006, 21:52 »
Get your self an inspection light they are blindingly bright. CV (centrual velocity?) joint and boot is the drive shaft joint to the hub. So you find it behind the disk. Basically a rubber gaitor protects the joint by being packed full of grease, a broken gaitor would let road cr@p in so check it is fully sealed.
Have you checked the suspension out by giving it a harsh push on each corner. A high mileage car may start to have some suspension problems. On my olf mk3 the strut bearings and top mounts needed to be replaced.
Audi TT 3.2 24v v6 2005 - The Sloth - Weekends
VW Golf 2.0 8v GTI 1996 - Lemonade II -Daily
MNR Vortx Yamaha R1 2009 - Track days
Sold Seat Leon Cupra R 225 -LM04 NDE "Lemonade"

Offline joey

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 11 April 2006, 21:57 »
had the same problem with mine.
it turned out to be the brake servo pipe, and also brake dust built up between the calipers.
main dealers will not remove the wheels when in for a service, best do it yourself .
hope this helps.
 :wink:

Offline Mantamad

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 11 April 2006, 22:00 »
It might be an idea to get someone to sit in the back so they can hear the noise - sometimes its difficult to pinpoint the exact location of a noise. If the noise is from the back it could be a wheel bearing although they tend to rumble rather than squeal, if you jack up the back of the car, put it in 1st gear (to stop the car rolling) and release the handbrake and spin the wheel, it should be smooth running with no sound, as GOLFGL says, grab the wheel top and bottom and waggle it - it should have no play.

The CV joints are at the front of the car - power comes out of the gearbox and is transmitted to each front wheel by a driveshaft, to allow the driveshaft to move up and down etc with the car, a CV joint (sort of hinged joint) is fitted at each driveshaft and is packed with grease and has a rubber cover over it.

If the rubber cover (or gaiter or 'cv boot') spilts, water gets in and can damage the joint - this could give the symptoms you describe if the noise is from the front.
Black 2002 GT TDi 130

Offline K REG MK 2 GTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 12 April 2006, 08:23 »
it sounds to me as if theirs might be a little stone or a peace of grit stuck in between the brake disc and brake back plate quite a common cause for this sort of noise done lots of these lately on golfs and polos

Offline soulman_uk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 24 April 2006, 20:54 »
Update:

Took all the wheels off and found that it was the rear drivers side wheel makiing the squeal. The disc was not rotating as freely as the other wheels and had some play in it when I moved it side to side. (as far as I go took it to a garage) and was as suggested it turns out to be the wheel bearing. Should be getting the car back and the bill in a few days.  :undecided:

Not the worst case scenario thank god  :smiley: none the less will leave me skint but all in the name of the mk4 golf  :grin: