Author Topic: Exhaust emission warning lamp  (Read 1584 times)

Offline fisherman

• Just got here
Exhaust emission warning lamp
« on: 14 November 2008, 13:39 »
Could someone please offer me help on this matter. This warning lamp has just illuminated on my 2001 GTI 1.8T (constantly lit, not blinking). I was wondering what the best course of action would be to take. We have had some seriously wet weather for days - could this be a culprit or is it possibly something a bit more worrying??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: Exhaust emission warning lamp
« Reply #1 on: 14 November 2008, 14:38 »
welcome

you need to get the car read for fault codes

could be a number of culprits such as your lambda sensor, coil pack

how does the car drive??

Offline fisherman

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 14 November 2008, 16:02 »
Thanks Rhyso.

The car has been driving fine, up until a few days ago. We live on a small hill (about 20yards from the top) and it was noticeable after a few days of persistent rain that the car was struggling to get up the hill when first started. After the car got going it was driving ok. Since then the exhaust emission warning lamp has illuminated.

Not sure if this is exclusively down to the wet weather but i will get the car read for fault codes all the same. Will this warning lamp go out on it's own or will it need to be reset??

Thanks again

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
« Reply #3 on: 14 November 2008, 19:11 »
Thanks Rhyso.

The car has been driving fine, up until a few days ago. We live on a small hill (about 20yards from the top) and it was noticeable after a few days of persistent rain that the car was struggling to get up the hill when first started. After the car got going it was driving ok. Since then the exhaust emission warning lamp has illuminated.

Not sure if this is exclusively down to the wet weather but i will get the car read for fault codes all the same. Will this warning lamp go out on it's own or will it need to be reset??

Thanks again

As said could be number of things i would say lambda sensor at a guess.

Need code reader or vag com to clear the code after its been fixed:

These are quite good :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-VW-AUDI-SEAT-SKODA-OBD-2-FAULT-CODE-READER-U281-VAG_W0QQitemZ260315112435QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment?hash=item260315112435&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

:afro:

MKIV Mod Squadâ„¢ a part of the headlight police.