Author Topic: The noisy people’s car…  (Read 9828 times)

Offline DaveA

• Not said much yet
The noisy people’s car…
« on: 04 August 2020, 11:37 »
So, I have been living with my 19 reg GTI Performance for some 14 months now. Whilst I am impressed with the dynamics of the car, and also the amount of equipment it came with, I am finding that the number of rattles, squeaks and creaks the car has is a significant negative point to ownership…

The pano roof creaks and squeaks like an old wooden ship, and the GummiPfleger stick only seems to cure it for a few weeks at a time… The passenger seat back vibrated persistently with engine load (was made better by workshop but still does it occasionally)… The drivers seat creaks very annoyingly from the base at the rear from lateral load when cornering (originally fixed one with a new base, but was back again quickly, if ever fixed in first place)… The passenger b-piller has a rattle in it (loose cable to speaker) that was only partially fixed… There’s another one mid front somewhere… and some from the back… The front consol area makes noises if my leg rests on it... There’s also something from the drivers b pillar area…

Some unwanted noises are better/worse in warmer weather and vise versa...

Honestly, this is way too much to expect from anew car with less than 9,000 miles under the belt… I had three BMW 3 series before the Golf and none of those has any noises like this...

Do other owners have similar issues..?

Offline Popinman

• Not said much yet
Re: The noisy people’s car…
« Reply #1 on: 04 August 2020, 11:48 »
The 67 plate 340i I had before my 18 plate GTi Performance was far creakier if that offers any reassurance....?
2018 GTi PP Indium Grey

Offline Philip

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 04 August 2020, 11:52 »
That’s quite a list!  I haven’t had any issues from the pan roof or generally with the exception of having to wrap some tape around the rear seat latching loops to stop a persistent creak.
TCR 3 door

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 04 August 2020, 12:01 »
Don't have a pano roof, but despite VW's obvious cheapening in the construction of the cars over the last few years, I've been commendably impressed at no rattle or squeaks in over 2 years of ownership. Pretty good for a VW.

I did have one but then found it was my type pressure gauge rattling around in my drivers seat underside drawer - quickly resolved by putting it into a foam tube  ;D
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 04 August 2020, 12:07 »
So, I have been living with my 19 reg GTI Performance for some 14 months now. ........................

I feel your pain. There is nothing worse than rattles and creaks. You get so tuned into them and can become obsessed which totally detracts from your car enjoyment.

Have you asked for help here or purely from the dealer?
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 04 August 2020, 12:49 »
I had the creaky drivers' seat too. They replaced numerous bits, and I had to wait about 6 weeks for the leather to come in from Germany. All resolved now though.

They also kind of fixed the noisy door panels - my passenger door seems to rattle from around where the ambient lighting is.

My main gripe is the rubber seals round the window and in the folding mirrors, which seem to dry out in the sun and start creaking and squeaking. Need to look into a fix for that to make it more "supple" again, I guess

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 04 August 2020, 12:56 »
Get some Krytox for the door and roof seals, applied annually should see all the creaks gone (gummi stuff doesn't last so you are wasting your time with that). Anti rattle tape on the rear seat latches should eliminate a lot of your problems. On mine the rear parcel shelf was quite rattly so tape on the hinges to take out the slack also made a big difference. There are other common rattle points which others will no doubt help with but the only way you're going to get to grips with this is to go through them all.

Seat back latches are a must though, just do them, it will help. Mine is lovely and quiet now, well worth 5 mins and a couple of pounds :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline DaveA

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 04 August 2020, 13:54 »
There are other common rattle points which others will no doubt help with but the only way you're going to get to grips with this is to go through them all.

I think that's the point, I am not sure why I should be going through all these things on a 14 months old car having done less than 9000 miles...!!! To my thinking, they should not be there... especially the ones supposedly once fixed and now coming back...

If it were just one or two, and they were fixed, I would not be too miffed... But to be chasing more after already chasing some for 14 months...!!!

Seat back latches are a must though, just do them, it will help. Mine is lovely and quiet now, well worth 5 mins and a couple of pounds :smiley:

I will definitely give that a try, although I would say I am not getting anything from them... which, might be a small blessing...... ha ha ha...

I will also try out the krytox... thanks for the tip... 🙂
« Last Edit: 04 August 2020, 13:57 by DaveA »

Offline DaveA

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 04 August 2020, 13:56 »
Have you asked for help here or purely from the dealer?

I did a fair bit of searching on this and other forums as well... watched too many youtube videos of people applying gummipfleger... ha ha ha ...

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 04 August 2020, 14:06 »
I think that's the point, I am not sure why I should be going through all these things on a 14 months old car having done less than 9000 miles...!!! To my thinking, they should not be there... especially the ones supposedly once fixed and now coming back...

If it were just one or two, and they were fixed, I would not be too miffed... But to be chasing more after already chasing some for 14 months...!!!

I’d personally rather try and find and fix them myself go rather than entrust the dealer to try and do it.

The prospect of the dealer ripping the interior of my car apart, with the risk of them breaking trim clips, damaging pieces of trim and creating more creaks and rattles in the process would fill me with dread.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl