Author Topic: Speccing your own tyres...  (Read 1685 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Speccing your own tyres...
« on: 29 July 2020, 14:05 »
I saw an interesting post by a guy I know who was having a moan about the Dunlop tyres on his new 718 Spyder when others were getting Michelins and his point was you can spec a car with every option going, whether performance-related or for luxury, yet the only item on a car that connects your car to the road is basically pot luck depending on the country you are in, time of order etc.

I thought this is something I'd never really considered and actually make a lot of sense but wondered if people would spec their tyres if there was an option and would you pay a bit more for the different tyre choices? I've seen the 330e on lots of different tyres (mine is on Pirelli P7) but it's less important for this type of car hence posting the question here.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: Speccing your own tyres...
« Reply #1 on: 29 July 2020, 15:15 »
I'd definitely pay £100 more to get Michelins rather than Bridgestones from the factory. I'd also avoid Conti 5s because they wear so fast.

Never thought Dunlop SP01s were a bad tyre for grip - they're fragile though and prone to sidewall bulging after the slightest pothole impact.

You can spec your tyres on the Transit van minibuses e.g. "Tourneo" models.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 29 July 2020, 16:07 »
I'd definitely pay £100 more to get Michelins rather than Bridgestones from the factory. I'd also avoid Conti 5s because they wear so fast.

Never thought Dunlop SP01s were a bad tyre for grip - they're fragile though and prone to sidewall bulging after the slightest pothole impact.

You can spec your tyres on the Transit van minibuses e.g. "Tourneo" models.

I imagine a lot of owners would pay as it wouldn't be that much difference like spec'ing Prets for £900 extra when the wheels cost £3k to buy normally.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 29 July 2020, 16:38 »
I'd imagine its all about commercial contracts.... not to mention the issue of each "option" being costly because they need to maintain more inventory and supply chain....

And most people buy a £30k and don't give a stuff :)

(Although I'd choose not to have BS's on my new Golf!)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 29 July 2020, 16:43 »
VW did offer it.
“Give us £3k and you can have 19” wheels and some SuperSports”
 :whistle:

I’d imagine the logistics of it would be a nightmare at the factory.
Maybe on low volume stuff like Porsches they could do it, and err, limited edition Golfs almost nobody actually buys brand new.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 30 July 2020, 08:17 »

I imagine a lot of owners would pay as it wouldn't be that much difference like spec'ing Prets for £900 extra when the wheels cost £3k to buy normally.

Prets may 'only' be £900 as an option, but don't forget, that's instead of the wheels it would have come with if you hadn't ticked the box, not as well as. It would be interesting to compare the retail prices of the different wheels and tyres to see what the difference actually was.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline RM

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 30 July 2020, 08:42 »
I'd imagine its all about commercial contracts.... not to mention the issue of each "option" being costly because they need to maintain more inventory and supply chain....

This. It would end up being no cheaper than replacing them yourself afterwards. You might get a small benefit, but so few people would take up this option that it would be an expensive logistical exercise for VW with no benefit of scale, so you'd end up paying close to retail.

You'd be better off doing your own thing if you care enough, and then selling the barely used tyres the car comes with.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #7 on: 30 July 2020, 08:58 »
I think the only time I've ever get het up about tyres on a new vehicle was on my motorbikes over the years.

And just like the Golf there were things like UK bikes getting one spec and other countries getting another, with the UK always getting the sucky ones.

But just like we are talking here, I used to take my new bike and go put my preferred rubber on the day I got the bike. I wonder if they still make Pirelli Dragons? Seems like a long old time ago!

Slightly more important on a sports bike than a family car though  :cool:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 30 October 2020, 17:30 »
My Father was a manager at a car plant and he told me that  tyres were always from a range of manufacturers inorder to maintain an ongoing supply.

But yes you can/could spec your own tyres but it takes a little waiting time and an adjustment to the bottom line.
I used to order Landrovers spec'd to each individual drivers requirements, some needed wider tyres for dry sandy conditions others narrow deep treads for mud and stream beds and every vehicle was supplied as requested, right down to the manufacturer and the exact tread.

Sorry Im a bit late to this thread, just looking for ideas on replacements for my Mk VII.