Author Topic: Rear end rattle/clonk - Fixed!!  (Read 846 times)

Offline GTI_for_her!

• Not said much yet
Rear end rattle/clonk - Fixed!!
« on: 27 July 2020, 22:19 »
Hi all,
I appreciate there have been many posts on the rattles/clonks and bangs from the rear of the Mk7/7.5 but here's an fix I wasn't aware of (and I've read them all!!)
A quick summary.
Bought new 7.5 GTi PP last July and it immediately sounded noisier inside than the Mk7 GTi and GTD that we'd had before it. I put this down to VW's penny pinching with sound insulation or just my rose tinted memory as had an S3, SQ5, and S5 in the interim. (Mrs still has the SQ5 but I went back to a Golf!!)

Anyway, lived with it for a few months then a hip replacement and COVID kept me out the car for a while.
Started using it regularly again in May and noise seemed worse. A constant clonking from the rear N/S that you really heard at low speed.
Tried the usual suspets, boot floor, catches in rear seats etc to no avail.
My suspension is DCC so didn't really then it was that but clonk was now making me hate the car so booked it in for 1st service and to have it looked at.

The result. 'Your year old car requires n/s rear drop link replaced sir, we'll do both under warranty'
Had to wait on them coming but car was done today.

What a difference. No noise at all from the rear end and to me its feels more planted (maybe just me thinking this though).
To summarise, I love my car again.
So if anyone else has the rear end noises its maybe worth looking at the drop links.
I appreciate this may be a one off with my car fitted with a dodgy part from the factory but its hard to explain how much the noise was wearing me down and the difference this has made.

Apologies for the 'war and peace' post but hopefully this may assist some others.
BW50, Mk7 Gti, Tornado red, 5dr, manual, Adaptive chassis control, winter pack.