Author Topic: Factory number plate surround - front  (Read 4146 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Factory number plate surround - front
« on: 22 July 2020, 18:54 »
I'm getting the front bumper ppf'd and the black factory front number plate surround will be coming off. Do I leave it off or put it back on afterwards. Anyone got any without pictures?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Factory number plate surround - front
« Reply #1 on: 22 July 2020, 19:24 »
No, but how is your new toy??
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 22 July 2020, 19:56 »
Picked it up at half two, dropped it off at detailers at half four and won't see it until next week  :grin:
Feels different to my 7 in a good way. Much tighter and even with only 7 miles on the clock it felt nice.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 22 July 2020, 20:53 »
Great! It's surprising how different they are to a PP, all those little differences add up and the engine feels and sounds stronger even if you aren't pushing on. Might not be so different to a MK7.5 GTIP but then I haven't driven one.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 22 July 2020, 22:33 »
My Mk7 has been PPF'd but tbh don't have pics of it without it but assume the screw hole fixings would be left behind and if refitting a standard size number plate then might as well put it back on.

Congrats on the new purchase too.

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 22 July 2020, 23:35 »
Here are the VW holes my bumper was left with (and two more from the dealer) when I removed mine. Good luck! I was going to put on a short plate but didn’t bother when I saw these.  :angry:

« Last Edit: 22 July 2020, 23:39 by Ceefeesh »
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 23 July 2020, 06:56 »
My Mk7 has been PPF'd but tbh don't have pics of it without it but assume the screw hole fixings would be left behind and if refitting a standard size number plate then might as well put it back on.

Congrats on the new purchase too.
A standard plate will cover all the holes that are left but as you say if putting same plate back on may as well put standard fitting back 👍

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 23 July 2020, 06:58 »
Here are the VW holes my bumper was left with (and two more from the dealer) when I removed mine. Good luck! I was going to put on a short plate but didn’t bother when I saw these.  :angry:

I asked for my plates not to be screwed on so fortunately I don't have the extra ones. I'm just not sure about sticking the plate directly onto the bumper  :grin:

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 23 July 2020, 09:08 »
A standard plate will cover all the holes that are left but as you say if putting same plate back on may as well put standard fitting back 👍

Generally only reason to remove the plate holder is when going to a smaller plate etc.

Plus just thought that due to the slight curvature of the bumper (I don't think it's a nicely flat surface) the plate won't sit flush which means more likelihood of it falling off after time. I removed my plate holder off the 3er but only because went short plate and I'm using a removable mounting bracket so when the plate is removed it look cleaner for shows etc.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 23 July 2020, 09:37 »

Generally only reason to remove the plate holder is when going to a smaller plate etc.

Plus just thought that due to the slight curvature of the bumper (I don't think it's a nicely flat surface) the plate won't sit flush which means more likelihood of it falling off after time. I removed my plate holder off the 3er but only because went short plate and I'm using a removable mounting bracket so when the plate is removed it look cleaner for shows etc.
Cheers, I did wonder about the shape of the front bumper and I'm definitely putting a standard size plate back on.