Author Topic: Almost said goodbye to VW yesterday.....almost  (Read 19864 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Almost said goodbye to VW yesterday.....almost
« on: 21 July 2020, 10:15 »
Well, yesterday I went to a BMW dealership in North Wales to test drive the new BMW M135 X-Drive as well as the X2 M 35i.

Both cars were in BMW Misano Blue and running 19" alloys, and to be honest looked superb - both of them. I test drove the X2 first and as expected it accelerated like a train, and being AWD (like the R), not a hint of wheel spin (was was a 20 plate ex demonstrator). I then jumped into the M135 and to be honest, immediately that suited me better (and the wife liked it better). Performance similar (as you would expect) to the X2. The 1 series was a 69 plate item on their used car slot with no options other than the M135i plus pack it would seem.

Upon concluding both drives we pondered them. I discounted the X2 almost straight away. Firstly the rear visibility was awful with an almost tunnel like rear screen. For a car that lists at over £47k, I was also very disappointed and amazed that for such a relatively large car, it only comes with rear parking sensors - no front and no camera (that's part of a pack). Also I found the steering just too light and not much self centring, and coming out of the Golf with it's 2.5 turns lock to lock, the X2 by contrast was something like 3.5 turns with result in a lot of wheels turning when manoeuvring. Also, again for a car of this price, Electric folding mirrors are an option and not standard ? Also, I don't think I'm really ready for an SUV yet.

The M135 was better as parking sensors front and rear are standard as are folding mirrors and the interior layout suited me better. There's a decent amount of kit as standard but unfortunately no active cruise control, lane assist, rear assist etc, as that is part of a £1000 driver aid pack, otherwise spec seems pretty similar to most performance golfs i.e. 18" alloys, auto lights and wipers folding mirrors, excellent sport seats, heated seat, dual climate control etc. 

The problem for me is that I like my toys, and I wouldn't have wanted to give up much that my GTI has, but I quickly found that most of the "individual" items I wanted, are contained in expensive packs and not available individually. For instance if you want just the sound system, then it's part of the M135i plus pack (at £1500) - to be fair does also include 19" alloys and sun protection glass. Another example is that if you want comfort access (keyless), it's in another £1500 Comfort Pack II (combined with electric seats, steering wheel heating, and electric tailgate). Don't get me wrong, as a combined price these packs are probably good value for money if you want / need all the features of the pack (sadly I didn't). I wanted a rear camera (like the GTI) and yes, you've guessed it Tech Pack I at....£1500 ?

So when specifying the car with the options I wanted (most of which were contained in packs), I quickly ended up at over £44k. Despite haggling over the price for a while, I also found the BMW dealer far less ready to give big discounts that I'm used to at VW. The thing however that concerned me, is that on BMW's official used car web site, there are plenty of M135i's some of which are only months old, and being listed at £7-£9K off list, which makes a new one very pricey considering how much they seem to depreciate in just 6 months ? So I've scrapped the idea of a new one, and will perhaps look to find a used one in my colour and spec choice (or as near to it as possible).

I will say though, these are very nicely made cars and ooze quality and certainly makes the interior on the MK7 or 7.5 Golf look lower rent, but to be fair the Golf is an 8 year old design. TBH, can't see how the new MK8 is going to compete with these ? The infotainment system in particular is superb with both I-drive and touchscreen capability and a really nice 10" wide screen. In my opinion however, one area where the MK7.5 beats the M135i is the digital dash. Sure we all moan that the VW unit could have been easily made to do more, but compared to the system in the BMW, which frankly is plain ugly and not at all easy or clear to look at, and much less configurable than those in the Golf's.

Interestingly on the way back, (75 mile trip), the GTI did once again put a smile on my face and was very quiet and civilised and certainly quick enough for most uses, and did make me wonder why I was ever thinking of changing in the 1st place. I think it's a case of "grass is greener" as I've been with VW exclusively now for 15 years, and part of me I think just wanted a change. I'll keep you posted if things change.
« Last Edit: 21 July 2020, 10:26 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: Almost said goodbye to VW yesterday.....almost
« Reply #1 on: 21 July 2020, 10:27 »
If you were still thinking of a change to the Beemer, by far the cheapest broker prices for new BMWs was "coast2coast cars".

Most BMWs are heavy on the initial depreciation, and you need a big initial discount to overcome that. Might be worth buying used if they still appeal.

I had a courtesy BMW 420d a few years ago and really didn't see what the fuss was all about - lots of hard silver painted dash plastic and the hardest, most uncomfortable seats I've experienced in a long time, like a solid seat base with a very thin layer of foam.

That seat reminded.me of my Grandad's old sofa - when the base springs went, rather than buy a new one, he cut and screwed a sheet of ply into the base under the very thin cushions. Tightest man I ever knew!  :grin:

Hopefully the 1 series is more golf-like in comfort levels.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 21 July 2020, 12:31 »

The problem for me is that I like my toys, and I wouldn't have wanted to give up much that my GTI has, but I quickly found that most of the "individual" items I wanted, are contained in expensive packs and not available individually. For instance if you want just the sound system, then it's part of the M135i plus pack (at £1500) -

if you want comfort access (keyless), it's in another £1500 Comfort Pack II (combined with electric seats, steering wheel heating, and electric tailgate).

I'm just about to pull the trigger on one myself so have done a fair bit of research.

The harman kardon can be added on its own at a cost of £750 although it says its part of a pack.
Also the comfort access can be added on its own at £500.

The technology pack looks a no brainer with:
LED Headlights
High-beam Assistant
Park Assist including Reversing Assist camera
Head-up Display
Enhanced Bluetooth with wireless charging
WiFi hotspot preparation
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 21 July 2020, 13:08 »
Yeah you can buy the various components without packs, although some of the bundles represent big discounts over the individual prices.

My M135i spec was tech pack 2, lumber support and ACC - cheaper than buying three packs when that did what I wanted.

The trouble with both the Mk7 Golf and the M135i is that the options are pretty attactive... but I try to keep a level head and having had two Mk7's I can realistically decide what of the modern tech is worth having for me and what is not.

I got a quote from a broker that slashed the price a hell of a lot.

BMW prices I know have increased and some of the spec has changed too since launch, but its still my yardstick by which I am measuring other options.

Sooty - would you now say that BMW have basically FINALLY built a Golf? I know I feel that about it and I think the Mk8 will struggle against it except on one curious aspect - there isn't a GTI spec 1 series. You can have a GTD, you can have an R but there is no 240bhp ish 2 litre petrol FWD variant. Its bizarre IMHO.

I guess its because its basically Mini parts bin reuse and they don't have that config either.

I'd take that spec 1 series if they made it without blinking.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 21 July 2020, 14:12 »
^ I'm putting up a new fence soon, wish i'd gone for lumber support. I'll have to settle for putting the back seats down and protect the interior with blankets when I load up with wood.  :grin:

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 21 July 2020, 14:26 »
If you like it I would contact TRL for a no haggle pretty much best price around.  No way will it be anywhere near £44k.  BMW discounts are usually significant on such models and you don't generally have to look far or try hard to get them.
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 21 July 2020, 14:36 »
An auto M135i with metallic paint comes in at £32542 inclusive of £1500 deposit contribution at Coast2coast cars. You could add options of course. That's a 14% saving on list.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #7 on: 21 July 2020, 14:48 »
^ I'm putting up a new fence soon, wish i'd gone for lumber support. I'll have to settle for putting the back seats down and protect the interior with blankets when I load up with wood.  :grin:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: don't tell me, you are here all week?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 21 July 2020, 15:50 »
Some more homework to do then  ;D
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline karlos

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 21 July 2020, 16:35 »
If you like it I would contact TRL for a no haggle pretty much best price around.  No way will it be anywhere near £44k.  BMW discounts are usually significant on such models and you don't generally have to look far or try hard to get them.

Yep, first thing I thought when I saw that price was that TRL could probably do it a lot cheaper.
2017 (67) GTI PP DSG. Tungsten Silver with DCC, Art Velours, Dynaudio, Climate Screen, Tints, Keyless, Rear Camera, Lane Assist, Seville wheels.