Author Topic: Wheel / tyre choice  (Read 7440 times)

Offline Benji33

• Just got here
Re: Wheel choice
« Reply #20 on: 10 July 2020, 00:41 »
Been looking at Reifnitz rims the last couple of days as well as Prets and Brescias. Been chatting with Davy at Procar over at Carryduff and was trying to decide which to go with. The Reifnitz are winning but did you get to see them diamond cut and also, what put you off the Prets if you don't mind me asking.
2014 Tornado Red GTI, 5 door, manual, VWR springs, custom exhaust.

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 10 July 2020, 08:04 »
I haven’t seen the Reifnitz diamond cuts, only the type in my picture. Diamond cut will probably look better but likely to be more expensive to buy and refurbish if damaged. I see these Reifnitz style wheels as my second/winter set and they weren’t expensive. I don’t think there would be much difference per wheel between getting one refurbished/ recut and replacing one of the wheels I bought, (if you could buy them individually). I paid £410 for the rims as I collected them and I think the Prets are a similar price. The replica Pretorias in gun metal looked really well  and I was tempted but there are quite a few cars with Prets and I preferred something a bit different. If Prets are your choice the gun metal looked fantastic and would probably contrast well with the colour of your car. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: 13 July 2020, 12:37 by Ceefeesh »
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 10 July 2020, 08:10 »
The Reifnitz are winning but did you get to see them diamond cut

I personally would never choose a diamond cut option over a powder coated / painted finish for the following reasons;
  • Poor durability of the diamond cut finish compared to a powder coated / painted finish that’s likely to succumb to white worm corrosion, especially during winter months.
  • Cost of refurbishing diamond cut wheels is more expensive than that alloys with a painted / powder coated finish. Due to the refurbishment process, diamond cut alloys can usually only be refurbished a maximum of two times - more than that, and their structural integrity can be compromised.
  • The diamond cut finish is is easily damaged by poorly maintained tyre fitting equipment and inexperienced tyre fitters.
Of the four options available for the 18” Reifnitz replicas from CM Wheels, my order of preference would be;
1. Satin gun metal
2. Satin black
3. Gloss black
4. Gloss black machined / diamond cut.

In reality though, there’d only be three choices on my list.......

At the end of the day we’re all different, as are our likes and dislikes which is a good thing, and the above is just my opinion.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 10 July 2020, 11:04 »
How much does the rep Reifnitz weigh?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 10 July 2020, 11:19 »
P3ASA to answer your query, they do not fit tyres. I was told that due to shipping costs there would be no saving on tyres that purchasers could obtain locally and most buyers would not buy budget tyres but specify performance tyres. There was certainly no tyres or fitting equipment in the areas I saw.

Thanks for asking.

Thats a shame as I get paranoid when having tyres fitted that the tyre fitter will nick the wheel with their wrench and I'd imagine a company supplying wheels would be ultra careful when fitting the tyres.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 10 July 2020, 11:39 »
P3ASA to answer your query, they do not fit tyres. I was told that due to shipping costs there would be no saving on tyres that purchasers could obtain locally and most buyers would not buy budget tyres but specify performance tyres. There was certainly no tyres or fitting equipment in the areas I saw.

Thanks for asking.

Thats a shame as I get paranoid when having tyres fitted that the tyre fitter will nick the wheel with their wrench and I'd imagine a company supplying wheels would be ultra careful when fitting the tyres.
I've just had four tyres removed and new ones fitted at Costco in Gateshead. No marks at all and they spent a good half hour taking pictures before starting.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Benji33

• Just got here
« Reply #26 on: 10 July 2020, 11:42 »
I haven’t seen the Reifnitz diamond cuts, only the type in my picture. Diamond cut will probably look better but likely to be more expensive to buy and refurbish if damaged. I see these Reifnitz style wheels as my second/winter set and they weren’t expensive. I don’t think there would be much difference per wheel between getting one refurbished/ recut and replacing one of the wheels I bought, (if you could buy them individually). I paid £410 for the rims as I collected them and I think the Prets are a similar price. The replica Pretorias in gun metal looked really well  and I was tempted but there are a lot of them around and I preferred something a bit different. If Prets are your choice the gun metal looked fantastic and would probably contrast well with the colour of your car. Hope this helps.

Yes buddy this helps and I appreciate the reply. I might bite the bullet and take a run over to CM to look at the choices in person, just need to speak to them and plan a day trip up to them.

I agree with that looks over lastability of the diamond cuts and that's my worry. The trade off is that I might sell the car next summer. Who knows lol. Gun metal Prets are stunning as you say but again, I think the Reifnitz suit the styling a little better. Thanks for your thoughts buddy.

Offline Benji33

• Just got here
« Reply #27 on: 10 July 2020, 11:45 »
The Reifnitz are winning but did you get to see them diamond cut

I personally would never choose a diamond cut option over a powder coated / painted finish for the following reasons;
  • Poor durability of the diamond cut finish compared to a powder coated / painted finish that’s likely to succumb to white worm corrosion, especially during winter months.
  • Cost of refurbishing diamond cut wheels is more expensive than that alloys with a painted / powder coated finish. Due to the refurbishment process, diamond cut alloys can usually only be refurbished a maximum of two times - more than that, and their structural integrity can be compromised.
  • The diamond cut finish is is easily damaged by poorly maintained tyre fitting equipment and inexperienced tyre fitters.
Of the four options available for the 18” Reifnitz replicas from CM Wheels, my order of preference would be;
1. Satin gun metal
2. Satin black
3. Gloss black
4. Gloss black machined / diamond cut.

In reality though, there’d only be three choices on my list.......

At the end of the day we’re all different, as are our likes and dislikes which is a good thing, and the above is just my opinion.

Absolutely appreciate your opinion too and it makes sense what you say. It's a nice problem to have in terms of making such decisions and if I only keep the car until next summer and get the diamond cut ones and ensure they are well sealed etc, I might take a chance purely for aesthetics but definitely good points to consider.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 10 July 2020, 12:33 »
Absolutely appreciate your opinion too and it makes sense what you say. It's a nice problem to have in terms of making such decisions and if I only keep the car until next summer and get the diamond cut ones and ensure they are well sealed etc, I might take a chance purely for aesthetics but definitely good points to consider.

I tend to keep my cars 4-5 years, so the likelihood of being able to keep a set of diamond cut wheels looking factory fresh for that period of time is nigh on impossible, taking into account tyre changes and winter road conditions. My previous car had diamond cut alloys and in spite of them being cleaned every 7-10 days and regularly sealed and waxed, and any stone chips attended to pretty much as soon as they happened, two of the wheels succumbed to white worm corrosion around the centre caps at two and a half years old. I put the onset of white worm down to poor / insufficient lacquer coverage around the edge of the wheel’s centre bore which would’ve been hidden by the edge of the centre cap. If I’d levered out the centre caps from the front of the wheel (which I wouldn’t do) and damaged the lacquer coating in the process I could understand it, but I’d never removed the centre caps from the wheels, nor had they been removed by tyre fitters as the car still had the original tyres on.

My current car had diamond cut wheels when I took delivery and those wheels were changed after about 3 months of ownership for a more durable set of anthracite powder coated / painted wheels. Four years later, they still look pretty much like new - something I doubt I could claim if I’d left the diamond cut wheels on.

I agree that diamond cut wheels do have great ‘bling’ appeal, so from an aesthetic point of view will appeal to many. Also the durability of a set of new diamond cut wheels ought to be OK until next summer, although if you need new tyres or puncture repairs during that time, I’d recommend you choose your tyre fitters wisely! :smiley:
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 10 July 2020, 12:36 »
..............and they spent a good half hour taking pictures before starting.

So that's why the wait is always so long  :grin:

Yeah I must admit Ive used Costco the last 2 times and been impressed although they haven't taken pictures before.

My only gripe was when my wife's car got a puncture repair from them they left the plug sticking out about 5mm from the tyre. I noticed when putting it in the car so took it back and they said it was the normal practice and would wear down which it did 6 months later!!
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14