Author Topic: Wheel / tyre choice  (Read 7449 times)

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
Wheel / tyre choice
« on: 08 July 2020, 17:24 »
Looking for opinions on wheel choice. As you can see below my car is Indium Grey. Originally it had genuine Santiago 19s on it but with no DCC I found these too harsh. I changed to genuine new 18” Miltons. I now would like another change and I am thinking of non genuine Reifnitz 18s in satin gun metal. I am happy with 18s and think the wheel colour could look well / unusual / different. I know Reifnitz aren’t ‘native’ to a GTI, I am ok with that but welcome other views. My other potential choices are replica Santiago 18s or Prets in gun metal, hyper silver or black. I have an opportunity to pick up a set of any of these tomorrow. I would value your opinions. Has anyone done this? If so pictures would be appreciated.  I will probably keep the wheels on over the winter. Thanks.  :undecided:
« Last Edit: 15 July 2020, 01:52 by Ceefeesh »
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Wheel choice
« Reply #1 on: 08 July 2020, 17:37 »
Wheels are a very personal choice, as long as you like them I wouldn't listen too much to anyone who criticises which wheels don't belong on which car and so on. Personally I quite like the Reifnitz.

Just make sure with reps that you are happy with the quality, the weight, the stance and the OEM centre caps potentially not fitting. Oh, and think about letting the insurance company know.  :smiley:
7.5 GTD

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 08 July 2020, 17:43 »
Thanks Guzzle. They are probably coming from CM wheels as I have to pass by them tomorrow. I will have a look. The point about the centre caps is valid, it had gone out of my head. I will definitely be informing my insurance company, as I did when I changed previously. Thanks again I want to get it right.   :cool:
« Last Edit: 08 July 2020, 23:37 by Ceefeesh »

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 08 July 2020, 17:58 »
You might also want to think about keeping hold of the Parker's/MK's to put back on when you come to sell or trade in. But the longer you keep the car the less it will matter.
7.5 GTD

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 08 July 2020, 18:00 »
I intend to keep them. They are pristine.  :smiley:

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 08 July 2020, 18:05 »
👍
7.5 GTD

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 08 July 2020, 18:49 »
Chances are the 18” Reifnitz reps will be 8x18 ET45 so will sit far far better in the arches than the standard 18” OEM wheels.
I reckon it’s a good move personally. Looking forward to seeing the photos.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 08 July 2020, 19:02 »
Thanks - my instinct is the Reifnitz 18 in satin gunmetal and they are ET45 x 8.

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 08 July 2020, 19:05 »
Go for Prets, but I am biased  :wink:
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 08 July 2020, 19:10 »
Thanks I will finally decide when I see them in the metal. I have Chemical Guys Max Coat wheel wax (green) to seal new alloys with before fitting which has worked well. I have thought about changing to a ceramic coating. Again, I would be grateful for suggestions for an alternative.