Author Topic: Thinking about moving from a 1.5 tsi 150 dsg to a 2019 gti dsg  (Read 5147 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Finally had a test drive and while the car drove lovely There was a few Things that sort of turned me off. 1. The front tyres was replaced with kumos
2. Rear wheel had a small scuff
3 rear bumper had a few chips where stuff has been pulled out the boot.
4. 3 inch thin scratch on rear door( not down to metal)
5. Passenger seat top side had a dirt stain.

Even tho they said they could smart repair the door. I said no
And smart repair the bumper and the wheel. Apart from all this the car did look nice and drove nice. So for now Im leaning on not taking it

Just didnt feel the love/ but felt the speed

It always amazes me that they'll happily have a car for sale looking far less than its best, but will sort all the things putting you off before you buy.
they'll be hoping that a customer comes along and buys regardless of condition and it saves them money by not having to do them.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Mikeyd1

• GTI forum regular
Small things can and do put me off, when paying that sort of money for a car I expect a fine example
2017 gti dsg white silver, 3door, dcc , Brescia alloys, pro Nav dvd ,dynaudio, dcc . Rear tints

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Are you paying a "mint" price though?

Silly question but if you want mint, then assuming you can find one, you pay for mint.

If its had new front tyres, likely as not its done at least 12-14k miles, which judging by most on here its over a year old.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict

Silly question but if you want mint, then assuming you can find one, you pay for mint.

If its had new front tyres, likely as not its done at least 12-14k miles, which judging by most on here its over a year old.

All of those things seem easily resolved - half a day's wage for a smart repairer and they could be charging mint money.

I've learnt lately that it's always nice to have a shiny new car that no one has messed with before you, but for some cars (my A4, for example), you've got to forgive a few minor cosmetic issues for a huge saving. Just make sure the saving is huge! For me, I'd be looking to a 1 year old Golf GTI being at least £5k cheaper than broker new price, otherwise you might as well buy new.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
Likely as not on a VW dealer's forecourt a nearly new one has a sticker price north of a broker price for a new one...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Likely as not on a VW dealer's forecourt a nearly new one has a sticker price north of a broker price for a new one...

That's why I wouldn't buy a nearly new Golf GTI. Especially if you rely on finance - used PCP rates are generally 50% higher than the new PCP rates.

We're in that funny state of being between generations, not new stock coming through of MK7.5.

I dare say though, if you're not too fussy, there'll be a few Golfs ordered before COVID-19 that haven't made it here yet that either:

1. Weren't allocated a buyer and are intended as stock.

2. People ordered them are now wanting to tighten their belts or might be facing COVID related redundancy.

3. People ordered before COVID-19 thinking "f**k it, i'm sick of waiting" and cancelled their order.

Always ringing around the fleet arm of the larger groups of dealerships: Lookers, JCT600, Listers, Arnold Shark etc.

Offline Mikeyd1

• GTI forum regular

All of those things seem easily resolved - half a day's wage for a smart repairer and they could be charging mint money.

I've learnt lately that it's always nice to have a shiny new car that no one has messed with before you, but for some cars (my A4, for example), you've got to forgive a few minor cosmetic issues for a huge saving. Just make sure the saving is huge! For me, I'd be looking to a 1 year old Golf GTI being at least £5k cheaper than broker new price, otherwise you might as well buy new.
£25400 with 7500 miles
2017 gti dsg white silver, 3door, dcc , Brescia alloys, pro Nav dvd ,dynaudio, dcc . Rear tints

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
New tyres in 7500 miles? No wonder the passenger seat had a stain  :laugh:

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict

£25400 with 7500 miles

Are you PCPing? I'm guessing a brand spanking new one on its way can probably be had for about £29k and 0% finance (which will probably end up being a good £5k cheaper in interest vs PCP terms sround 8.9% on a used car?

As I said, have a ring around the big dealership groups, see if fleet will talk to you as it's usually fleet that sort the broker deals out. Listers Nuneaton's rep is Kim Draper -bought 2  VW cars from her after drive the deal introduced me to her. Or there is a resident dealer here that I haven't seen in a while.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
New tyres in 7500 miles? No wonder the passenger seat had a stain  :laugh:

We definitely need a like button here! :grin: