Poll

What age bracket are the Performance Golf owners in ?

17-25
2 (1.7%)
26-35
17 (14.8%)
36-45
28 (24.3%)
46-55
36 (31.3%)
Over 55
32 (27.8%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Author Topic: Poll -Owners ages & a question  (Read 11226 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Owners ages & a question
« Reply #20 on: 17 June 2020, 16:16 »
I’m 52 and possibly look a massive tit getting in and out of a bright white GTI with black wheels, a black roof, a farty exhaust and a loud stereo. That probably proves I actually am a massive tit but - who cares?!  :grin:

Doing a quick scan around my immediate neighbourhood which is predominantly of a more mature age group, aside from the standard boring econo-hatchbacks, SUV’s and an occasional late life crisis Porsche it seems to be mostly Mercedes barges with huge wheels or small Range Rovers and their ilk. All stereotypical stuff driven by stereotypical people.
Hell, I know plenty of guys who have had tattoo sleeves done in their 50’s for whatever strange reason loads of middle aged men seem to think they suddenly need to do this.
When I was in my 20’s most people in their 40’s seemed to look and act really old but times have changed.

I’ve owned hot hatches since my late teens and have no plans on changing that. In fact I’m now of the age where the kids are buggering off and I quite fancy something even smaller and rortier than a GTI because I don’t carry passengers and don’t drive on motorways anymore. I can’t wait until there are small affordable ballistically quick electric sports cars available just to try out the tech.

GTI’s look and drive in the sporty but respectable band. Always have done and hence their neutral image.
Sitting above the GTI’s are proper boy racer cars that look like mid range Diesels (Golf R, 135i, A35, S3 etc) and tend to be driven by more mature types at least as much as youngsters.
What even is the GTI’s image now? I genuinely have no idea, I buy them as they tick my boxes after a process of elimination.
The GTI hasn’t been boy racer top dog since 1992 when the VR6 kicked its arse, more so since the hyper hatches such as the A45 and RS3 broke cover.

Maybe an R or S3 would be more acceptable to your brother’s cliches views Sootchucker?

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 17 June 2020, 16:43 »
Interesting Exonion.

TBH, my brother just isn't into cars that much (unlike me) which is why he drives a Renault engined Nissan Qashqai  ;D ;D
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 17 June 2020, 16:48 »
I’m 52 and possibly look a massive tit getting in and out of a bright white GTI with black wheels, a black roof, a farty exhaust and a loud stereo. That probably proves I actually am a massive tit but - who cares?!  :grin:

Hmmm, that doesn't bode well for me then, similar car and age and yet I thought I looked great getting in and out of mine with my bespectacled balding head and Radio 4 on the stereo :rolleyes: :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline mistac

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #23 on: 17 June 2020, 17:12 »
I am 54, hope I don't look like a tit, but unfortunately have massive tits (man boobs)  :smiley: :smiley:
GTI 7.5 Performance 5dr DSG Tornado Red - completely standard spec as - it comes out of the tin as they say

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 17 June 2020, 17:13 »

TBH, my brother just isn't into cars that much (unlike me) which is why he drives a Renault engined Nissan Qashqai  ;D ;D

Has he reverted back to driving with his front fog lights on again since we've had the odd drop of rain? Or is that just Juke drivers?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 17 June 2020, 17:24 »
I’m 47, incredibly handsome, and look absolutely fine driving my GTi.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline ChrisTCR

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 17 June 2020, 17:41 »
Im 46 (although most people say I look a fair bit younger, and I certainly don't act 46 :grin:) and couldn't car less what anyone thinks of me driving a GTI TCR, in fact its pretty subtle in comparison to my last car which was a sun yellow A35 AMG.

Offline Toeman

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 17 June 2020, 18:40 »
As approaching early retirement it pains me that I may have to get rid of my 2018 one but if I didn’t have to. I would certainly not give a rats arse what anyone thinks about driving an iconic car  no matter  bout age. Enjoy it as long as you can

Offline TippEx

• Not said much yet
« Reply #28 on: 17 June 2020, 18:41 »
I wouldn't really consider a Golf GTI a boy racers car in this day and age.  Firstly the price (unless you are young and happen to have a reasonable job and live at home with the parents rent free).  Someone has to buy them new in the first place and it took me until I was 35 before I could afford to do it.  Early Mk7s are probably coming down to the price point now that I would have been been looking at with cars in my 20s and that's after being in production since 2013.

Secondly the fact that most younger people I know either aren't into cars or can't insure a GTI without a ridiculous premium.

The GTI is a lot more subtle nowadays and I would describe it more as a warm hatch than a hot hatch.... Well maybe not now I've remapped it  :grin:. My choice was between a high spec GTI and a lower spec R, I never regretted the GTI apart from the one time it snowed since I owned it when the 4wd of the R might have been helpful.
2016 GTI PP.  Mountune52 Stage 1

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 17 June 2020, 18:44 »
Hi Sootchucker. Deliberately avoiding numbers/ages; judging by the previous posts, quite good grammar and general sentiments, I think that many contributors are Generation X with a sprinkling of Baby Boomers thrown in. Regardless, you are in good company and clearly have good taste, demonstrated by your choice of car. Drive with confidence. I, myself am a Baby Boomer. Maybe there should be a new thread, ‘Older GITs in GTIs’ :grin:
« Last Edit: 18 June 2020, 11:04 by Ceefeesh »
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.