Author Topic: Advice - to buy OBDeleven or Carista ?  (Read 5169 times)

Offline martin998877

• GTI forum regular
Advice - to buy OBDeleven or Carista ?
« on: 08 March 2020, 19:52 »
Hi everyone

I would like to be able to tweak things, eg set a delay for the headlamp washers operating (they drink washer fluid), set the front fogs to come on with high beam, etc. I have just got an android mobile phone, so could install either software on it now. Before I just had my iPhone and OBDeleven is limited on that.

Carista has a dongle for £21 and the software is £34 for a year (with a one month free trial). It has a huge list of customisations including the above two.

OBDeleven also does the same, and costs 69 Euro for the system and an extra 40 euro for the pro version, which allows long coding, which I guess allows more things to be tweaked.

I'd be happy to try long coding, though very worried I might screw something up, and it doesn't look easy with all of the German needed, so I'd probably use the paid for apps first of all on obdeleven.

To me Carista looks like it is cheaper and would do what I want? \Especially with a free first month.

What are the advantages of OBDeleven over carista, as there must be many for the increased price?

Many thanks for the help I anticipate I will get!

Martin
Golf GTi Mark 7 owner

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
Re: Advice - to buy OBDeleven or Carista ?
« Reply #1 on: 08 March 2020, 20:21 »
I had to check your price, as I only paid £15.99 for Carista back in January. I did all I wanted during the free month, so a comparative bargain. Unless you need to be doing changes continually, I can’t think of a reason to spend more. A month gives you chance to make changes and check that they perform as expected.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline mistac

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 08 March 2020, 21:23 »
I was just about ready to go and buy Carista for £15.99 for my upcoming GTi, and I also noticed it’s gone up to £21 very recently :angry:
« Last Edit: 08 March 2020, 21:25 by mistac »
GTI 7.5 Performance 5dr DSG Tornado Red - completely standard spec as - it comes out of the tin as they say

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 08 March 2020, 21:50 »
I did a big thread on Carista a few weeks back...

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=286049.0

Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 09 March 2020, 11:41 »
I have had the OBDEleven since it first came out and have used is regularly for my car and others. Updated it to the next gen version that is considerably faster when I updated I only needed to buy the basic version as my "Pro" account transfers over to it including my free 900+ credits that I will never use as I use long coding and adaptations and not Apps. I would not hesitate to buy another as I have not had any problems. and a doddle to use with just a mobile phone.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 09 March 2020, 11:45 »
ODB11 only works on Android though. If you’re using an iPhone, Carista is the only option. Apple don’t like third parties tinkering with their OS. Which is why Android is more flexible but Apple is more secure.
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 09 March 2020, 12:44 »
ODB11 only works on Android though. If you’re using an iPhone, Carista is the only option. Apple don’t like third parties tinkering with their OS. Which is why Android is more flexible but Apple is more secure.
OBD11 does work on iOS apparently.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 09 March 2020, 13:31 »

OBD11 does work for iOS. My buddy has it. Its just a lot more restricted with what you can do compared to Android.i.e no coding or long coding or live data/freeze frame amongst others.
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 09 March 2020, 14:50 »
As above, I have OBD11 with my iPhone X and it works great for the Apps, error clearing and reading etc. It is more restrictive in terms of long coding but still good. If you’re on Android then it’s compatible for long coding etc.

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 10 March 2020, 08:11 »
So all the minor adaptations including comfort indicators, locking bleep etc can be configured with the app on an iphone?